Martz, Manning and More

NFL fans, I know you are not quite sure what happened this weekend. I have about a thousand questions for Mike Martz alone. But I do know one thing. I had fun all weekend, so much so that I decided to break down what I saw.

In St. Louis we saw a little over five quarters. It was more like an episode of the WB's "Surreal Life" than a football game. Forget regulation, the overtime itself was a melee. Two missed field goals and an interception in the first overtime alone. Of course there wasn't much of a second overtime as Steve Smith's reception kept the Rams Delhomme. If I were John Fox I would have given Martz the game ball. Man did he put on a clinic for how not to coach.

Then came New England versus Tennessee. This was a match up of AFC titans. Pun intended. Steve McNair was his usual courageous self, battling cold weather, nagging injuries and a flat out better team. Eddie George was Eddie George, always falling forward and never giving in. Gary Anderson was, well, he was old. And Tom Brady was, as usual, just a little better than everybody else. Is there any other quarterback you'd rather have running your team when the game is on the line?

Come to think of it, there is a quarterback I'd rather have in crunch time. Peyton Manning.

He is 44-56 with 681 yards and eight touchdowns in the postseason. After shellacking the Denver Broncos, the Colts came out and had their way with Kansas City's defense. Not too shabby for a guy who can't win a playoff game. I wouldn't want to face this offense with the eleven greatest players in the history of the NFL right now. Tony Dungy's team gave Dick Vermeil a real reason to cry at the end of the season.

I saved the best for last, Wisconsinites. I've been waiting for this moment since the Vikings choked harder than Mama Cass and let the lowly Packers sneak into the playoffs. (Yes, I am from Chicago). The Packers raced to an early 14-point lead. They were one yard away from taking all the air out of Philadelphia, and they couldn't get it. I don't care if all the mystique and lore in the world is on your side, if you can't get a simple yard in the NFL you do not deserve to win. Donovan McNabb then did what he has all season: carried the Eagles. He accumulated 355 total yards and two passing touchdowns. Only Martz was more essential to a team's playoff victory. As a Bears fan I loved every minute of this game — as a person every part of my heart ached for Brett Favre. Next season must seem miles away.

This weekend confirmed what Don Cheadle has been telling us since Wild Card Weekend: The playoffs are big.