Knight tones down antics

You would think we had seen everything from Bob Knight in his career. He has led three different teams to a national basketball championship. He even led a team to a perfect season. He's the only active coach with over 800 wins, and he is poised to leap to No. 5 on the coaching wins list this season. And now this whip-yielding, fire-breathing disciplinarian is doing something he has never done before: Put together a winner without rocking the boat.

Knight was never famous for his coaching tactics. His coaching skill can never be doubted, but come on, let's be honest, did you ever stand in the lunch line and say, "Hey, did you see Bobby Knight call for that full-court press last night?"

No. Instead it was, "Hey, did you see Bobby Knight head butt that kid?" or, "Hey, did you see Bobby Knight berate that referee?" or, "Hey, you want to go buy the new Bob Knight dictionary for impressionable youths?"

But look at the stats this year. Take Andre Emmett off of this team and Knight is coaching the Texas Tech Nobodies. Yet they average a plus five turnover ratio, allow only 62.5 points a game, lead the Big XII in steals and shoot 72 percent from the free-throw line. Most importantly this team has quality wins against Oklahoma State and Oklahoma, and nearly stole one from Texas in overtime Monday night, losing by one point.

All signs in Lubbock point to a No. 4 seed in the NCAA tournament, with Knight poised to take them deep, maybe even being able to win it all. It's not too far fetched with teams like Kansas losing to Richmond and North Carolina losing to Florida State. Even Duke has flopped, losing to a mediocre Purdue team. And if he were to win another championship, wouldn't you have to consider him for title of "greatest ever?"

The real hoops junkies out there would say John Wooden. Most of Wooden's accomplishments were done with Lew Alcindor and Bill Walton in a time when leaving college for the pros was not done and there were considerably fewer teams to compete with. Of course there will be cat calls for Mike Krzyzewski. He has three NCAA titles and nine Final Four appearances with Duke.

But even if Knight and Krzyzewski have almost identical graduation rates, both hovering in the 95 percent region, a tournament win gives Knight one more tournament title than Krzyzewski and 152 more wins. That would have to solidify Knight as the greatest coach of all time.

However that philosophical argument detracts from what Knight is doing this year with Team Nobody in Lubbock. It also detracts from how well he has behaved himself for doing it. And as one of the most avid Knight supporters this campus will ever see, I'd say it is about f@#$ing time. Am I right Bob?