The Face of Winter

As winter hits Milwaukee in full force with temperatures routinely below freezing, not all Marquette students are singing to the tune of "Let it Snow."

All 31 days of January this year have had low temperatures of 32 degrees Fahrenheit or below, and six days where the low temperature was zero degrees or below, according to the National Weather Service.

Ben Tracy, director of university communication, said the university would cancel classes only if the temperature reached a point where it became a health threat or the snowfall was so great that people could not get to class.

The last time classes have been canceled due to the cold was in 1997, according to Tracy, when the wind chill was between 50 and 60 degrees below zero.

Student Health Service has not seen an increase in student health issues because of the cold, said Keli Wollmer, physician assistant and clinical coordinator for SHS.

Yet students said they are definitely feeling the chill.

Luisa Montemurro, a sophomore resident of Straz Tower, said most of her classes take her five blocks away to the Schroeder Health Complex.

"When it's cold outside, you feel every step of it," Montemurro said.

Sophomore Samantha Novitski lives in Schroeder Hall but hails from California, near Los Angeles, and said she misses home at this time of year.

"You never really get used to the cold," she said. "Last year was my first time in the snow, and I was the loser out there dancing in the snow.

"I can't wait to go home in the sunshine for spring break."

Many students who live off-campus have another problem with the cold — the high heat and gas bills that accompany it.

Montemurro said crossing the bridge over I-43 between North 10th and North 11th streets is especially bad because of the wind.

Daniel Sajdak, a freshman resident of O'Donnell Hall, said he also didn't like the wind.

Sajdak, who hiked six blocks to Johnston Hall last Thursday, said he had no scarf to protect his face from the cold wind. He said he wasn't planning on buying a scarf, but might ask for one to be sent from home.

Sophomore Kate Water moved into Mashuda Hall from Schroeder Hall this semester. She said it has been quite an adjustment leaving a residence hall with a central location on campus.

"I have had to bundle up," she said. "I put on three more layers now."

Wollmer said dressing in layers is very important during this time of year. She also said students should make sure to cover their mouth, nose and ears. Scarves are especially important because they warm the air before you breathe it in. She said to change clothes frequently if they become wet and to wear clothes made from a cotton/polyester blend when exercising because it will absorb sweat better than cotton.

According to the National Weather Service, the average monthly temperature for January in Milwaukee is 17.9 degrees Fahrenheit. The average monthly temperature for February is 22.0 degrees Fahrenheit.

Milwaukee's coldest temperature was recorded on Feb. 3, 1996, and it was 26 degrees below zero, according to the Milwaukee Public Library's Ready Reference desk. The coldest wind chill was negative 83 degrees on Jan. 10, 1982.

According to the forecast from WTMJ 4, the temperatures are expected to be in the low to mid 20s for the rest of the week.