Dean ends education era

At the end of this academic year, Marquette's Dean of the College of Education will finally be able to finish the plan he had four years ago.

When the end of the semester comes, John Augenstein will retire. He has spent the last 17 years at Marquette, authored or co-authored five books and devoted 43 years of his life to teaching — 39 of which were spent in Catholic education.

Becoming the Dean of the College of Education was not part of the original plan for Augenstein, but when he was offered the job in 2000 he did not turn it down.

"I actually had planned retirement a few years ago," Augenstein said. "But then (University President the Rev Robert A.) Wild came to me and asked me to take over as the Dean of Education. It was only supposed to be through 2002 — however I have remained here an extra two years. I have really enjoyed my time here."

On Feb. 2, Augenstein received the Catholic Schools Champion Award to commemorate his 39 years of service to Catholic institutions. In his acceptance speech at the Alumni Memorial Union Grand Ballroom, given in front of 450 people including Milwaukee's acting Mayor Marvin Pratt, teachers, faculty and friends, Augenstein explained why he devoted so much of his life to teaching at Catholic institutions.

"I believe we cannot separate an education dedicated to success in work and life from an education in faith and faith formation," Augenstein said. "Life fulfillment must include fulfillment in faith; the two are integrated."

Colleagues said his dedication to his job will be sorely missed.

"His leadership will be missed," said associate professor of education Rebecca Bardwell. "Finding someone who can fill his shoes will be challenging."

Bardwell also said she will miss his deep commitment to social justice on and off the Marquette campus.

Professor of education Robert Fox echoed Bardwell's sentiments and regrets having to lose Augenstein as a Dean and a friend.

"We have a great open-door relationship," Fox said. "He is accessible and straight forward. He has that kind of relationship with everyone he works with."

Fox said Augenstein would leave an impressive legacy behind.

"He has elevated the school of education through the university," Fox said. "It will be tough for his successor to keep that up — and I hope whoever it is will."

Augenstein said he has seen the university go through a lot of change. From administrations to buildings, he remembers the old and the new.

"I was here for the last three years of (former University President the Rev. John P.) Raynor, all of (the Rev. Albert J.) Diulio and Wild," Augenstein said. "I have seen the new Dental school and the Raynor Library erected. I have seen a lot done here at this university."

Although Augenstein has no plans of coming back to Marquette to teach, he will continue the five years of research he was doing for his sixth book before Wild asked him to take over as the Dean of the College of Education. It will be written on the history of chief administrators of Catholic Education from the years of 1936-'71. It is still a few years away from being published, according to Augenstein, and is composed of his research and interviews.

Augenstein said he will miss both the teaching and administration aspects of his career in education.

"As far as teaching goes, I will miss the interaction with students on a day-to-day basis," Augenstein said. "But of course I will miss the administration aspect because I enjoyed dealing with faculty and staff as well."

Augenstein leaves Marquette with fond memories and best wishes for the faculty, staff and students of the community.

"I am really going to miss Marquette," Augenstein said. "It was really the culmination of my academic career. I will miss everyone I worked with and had the opportunity to know."