Senior’s seat causes unrest

Marquette's decision to have a senior as the student representative on the University Budget Committee has led to some mixed reviews from undergraduates who will be affected by a tuition increase in 2005.

Senior Blake Wallace was chosen to represent the students at the University Budget Committee meetings this year, a group that recommends what changes in tuition are necessary for the coming fiscal year.

The committee, which meets regularly, decided to raise tuition 5.9 percent for the fiscal year of 2005. The increase will cover $1,200 in tuition increases and $400 in additional room and board costs. The committee also suggested a $2 increase for the segregated health fees, raising the cost from $127 to $129, according to information from the Office of Public Affairs.

Wallace believes he and the committee had come to a fair, reasonable tuition increase for the next fiscal year.

"I do believe the committee made very fair and necessary decisions," Wallace said. "There are many factors that go into the final numbers of the budget, including the consumer price index, our current endowment, the number of students enrolled and the mission values of the university. These were carefully weighted with the students and their families at the forefront of the final decision."

But students have mixed reviews about a student representative who will not be a student when the increases apply during the fiscal year of 2005.

"I don't think he would have been as avid about the budget as a junior or sophomore might have been," said freshman Dan Daitchman. "In the end this may have been a costly procedure for students on campus."

Another freshman, Meghan Ryan, did not believe Wallace's senior status would have affected his decisions.

"I think he would have done the same job as a freshman, sophomore or junior," Ryan said. "I don't think his class standing influenced his decision at all."

Freshman Mike Kelley took a middle-ground stance on the issue of a senior being the students' representative.

"I think that if an underclassman were chosen, then perhaps the committee may have seen more opposition to its budget proposal," Kelley said. "However a senior does have the most experience as to what college costs and things of that nature, so they may be more qualified for the position. I just hope whoever was the student representative would have the best interest of the students foremost in their mind, regardless of their class status."

The university wanted someone who has had experience on Marquette's campus, and someone who could relate to as many aspects of student life as possible, according to Ben Tracy, director of university communication.

"I think they chose a senior because of his time on campus and his ability to relate to student concerns," Tracy said.

Wallace went through an interview process with Provost Madeline Wake and Senior Vice President Greg Kliebhan. Two other candidates were interviewed, but in the end Wallace was chosen.

"I feel the university has benefited from having student input in the budget process," Kliebhan said. Wallace "has continually impressed me with his knowledge and ability to constructively represent the students' concerns. He does not get paid for this, but does it because of his own dedication to Marquette."

Wake was impressed with his ability to understand the economic issues before the committee.

Wallace "had a good grasp of issues of financial management related to concerns of students," Wake said. "Members of the University Budget Committee need to review technical materials. (Wallace) showed his understanding of these concepts."

Wake said Wallace was chosen based on his qualifications, not because of his status as senior at Marquette.

Wallace "as an individual has the poise, interest and knowledge needed," Wake said. "These characteristics could be seen in someone not yet a senior."

The applications for next year's student representative will be available from Marquette Student Government soon, according to Wallace.

Wallace said he was happy to serve the students on campus, and said being chosen gave him a great deal of satisfaction.

"It was certainly an honor to serve my students on the committee," Wallace said. "I tried to educate myself on the budgeting process to the best of my ability and to accurately represent students' views."