D.C. university cutting its cords

One of the first fully wireless campuses in the United States is now looking to expand its wireless capabilities even further.

American University in Washington, D.C., has set a target of 2005 to have cell phones as the number one way of providing phone service to the residence halls, according to Carl Whitman, executive director of e-operations at American.

"There are still phones in the dorms right now, we're just trying to reduce our reliance on that," said Todd Sedmak, media relations director at American.

Some American students enjoy the freedom of cell phones instead of landlines.

"With cell phones — at least my roommate and I don't have an actual plug-in room phone, we just live off of our cell phones," said American freshman Karissa Yee.

The students can get discounts through the university for their own phones.

"What we do is we partner with Cingular and Nextel so students can get reduced rates on cell phones, phone time and other plans," Sedmak said.

American senior Abid Chaudhry said he thought the wireless system was actually cheaper.

American University completed its campus-wide wireless system, which is able to handle voice and data messaging, in fall 2003. Cell phones, laptops and PDAs can all be connected to the wireless system.

"The entire campus" is wireless, Sedmak said.

According to Sedmak, American has been working on moving to wireless since about 2001.

"Our vice president of finance (Don Myers) had the vision for it," Sedmak said.

"It's gaining popularity very fast," Chaudhry said. "It really allows students to disattach from their tethers in their dorm rooms and in the computer labs and do anything they want."

"We can pretty much go anywhere on campus to study," Yee said. "It's definitely a great study tool."

According to Sedmak, American is also looking to expand its wireless system beyond the campus so commuters and students who are off-campus can access the system.

At Marquette, the same shift toward greater wireless capabilities is occurring.

"The main places that students are studying — Raynor, the Union, Cudahy — there is wireless," said Ben Tracy, director of university communication.

"I think (Marquette's wireless system) suits me pretty well, because I can go to the library and use it," said freshman Jessica Fagin. "I live off-campus, but we still have wireless. I can even go to the dorms, since I don't own an Ethernet cord I don't have to plug myself in. I can just turn it on and do what I need to do."