Life on the John

There's an old saying: "March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb." Well, the sports world has abided by that saying so far, giving people plenty of water-cooler chat.

Former Cincinnati Reds owner Marge Schott died Tuesday at the age of 75. She left behind car dealerships, money and hatred for blacks, gays and Jews. Suspended twice by Major League Baseball, she thought Hitler was, "OK, until he went too far." However she did adore animals, citing "elephants don't ask for pay raises." Here's to hoping that an affinity for animals counts for something with whoever is working the door in heaven.

Speaking of baseball, steroids may be running rampant in the league. Just like when former President Bill Clinton may or may not have had sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky. Face it everyone, steroids are like M&Ms to these guys. I say let them do it. They know the consequences, and its always fun to see tree trunks swinging at baseballs.

Jayson Williams compiled a $627.52 bar tab on the night he allegedly shot and killed his driver. However, William's lawyers have referred to the outing as a "family" night. Usually my family has movie night, or a trip to the zoo — not get drunk and shoot someone night.

Detroit Country Day refuses to give up three state championships won while Chris Webber was playing for the high school ineligibly. The school refuses to forfeit the titles because the evidence against Webber in the case is, "based on unproven innuendo, suspicion and speculation." Webber pleaded guilty to criminal contempt last summer for his dealings with booster Ed Martin during the time frame in question. Is that the kind of innuendo, suspicion and speculation the school is talking about?

The University of Colorado is being kicked around like a soccer ball right now. Only instead of being kicked around by a bunch of youths, Colorado is being kicked around by the governor of the state. The governor has appointed a special investigator to look into the on going scandal over recruiting techniques.. My safe assumption of the week: Gary Barnett may have dug up and old resume or two.

St. Joe's completed a perfect 27-0 record this week. Marquette is fighting for its tournament life right now. Don't worry, coach Crean, I'm sure the Final Four is just as exciting to watch as it is to coach in.

Champ Bailey just signed an agreement with the Broncos for $63 million over seven years. Clinton Portis signed an 8 year $50.2 million deal. Peyton Manning has agreed to a $98 million deal. None of those figures include the signing bonuses offered to these three. The GNP per capita of Ethiopia is $100. That's always a fun stat to have handy at one of your next social justice get togethers.

Four days into March I can only help how, and when, this roaring lion will turn into a lamb.