Education to get new dean

The announcement about who would become the new dean of the School of Education was made Monday afternoon to the Academic Senate.

William A. Henk, professor of education and chair of the department of curriculum and instruction at Southern Illinois University, has been announced as the successor to current Dean of the School of Education John Augenstein, who will retire at the end of the spring semester.

Augenstein, who has been in the field of education for 42 years, believes the university made a good choice and has confidence in Henk's ability to lead the School of Education.

"His experience as a teacher, scholar and administrator give him a lot of credentials that he can bring to the table," Augenstein said. "He wants to be here because of who we are as a Catholic university in the Jesuit tradition and because of his concern for and interest in our social justice efforts. I very much believe he is up to the task."

Provost Madeline Wake said in a press release that she feels confident in Henk's ability to lead the School of Education next year.

"Dr. Henk will be a fine leader for our school of education," the release said. "His commitment to social justice fits the values of the faculty and the mission of Marquette University."

Director of Teacher Education Janet Matthews said she was very excited to see Henk's administration skills and that she really loved the energy he would bring with him.

"I am very excited for his arrival," Matthews said. Henk "has such a such a great commitment to the mission of the school of education. His greatest asset is a vigor he brings to this university."

Matthews was impressed with the attitude Henk has to offer to the School of Education.

"He is just a very positive guy," Matthews said. "Everyone is anticipating his leadership. I don't mean to say we haven't had excellent leadership in the past; we have. But we are just so eager to get him on campus because of the level of dynamism he has to offer our school."

Matthews could not find one thing she thought Henk would have trouble with.

"He is coming to an exceptional university with a solid core of student body, a solid core of faculty and a solid core of staff members," Matthews said. "He is going to be able to play out the mission of the school. We are all just very excited to have him work with us."

Augenstein said there would be some challenges for Henk when he embarks on his new journey as dean of Marquette's School of Education.

"He will need to get to know the faculty, staff and students as well as his dean colleagues and university administrators," Augenstein said. "Then he will need to develop an understanding of the greater Milwaukee community, including Milwaukee public schools, archdiocese of Milwaukee Schools as well as other private and public schools and community agencies served by our CEOP department. Finally he will have to learn about southeast Wisconsin and our colleagues in other higher education institutions.

"My only advice to him is to listen much."

Henk said he was as excited about coming to Marquette as the faculty is about having him.

"I'm delighted," Henk said. "It is such a high quality institution with dedicated professionals who stand for something."