MUSG: Deposit booming

Since its inception in late February, more than 700 of Marquette's estimated 3,000 student employees have registered for the direct deposit of their paychecks.

Direct deposit, an initiative launched by former Marquette Student Government Financial Vice President Blake Wallace in February, allows student employees to have their paychecks directly deposited into their bank accounts.

"We think (direct deposit) is working out wonderfully," said Cindy Antoniewicz, payroll manager.

Antoniewicz said 524 student employees receiving paychecks this Wednesday have direct deposit, but there is no central list with the total number of student employees and how many are signed up for direct deposit.

In the Feb. 26 issue of the Tribune, she said direct deposit was offered to Marquette students five years ago and wasn't brought up again until Wallace showed interest at the beginning of the fall 2003 semester.

MUSG conducted a survey to gauge student interest in direct deposit last fall. Of the 390 students who responded, 379 were student employees. The survey found 350 of those surveyed said they would use direct deposit if implemented.

Freshman Dan Calandriello, O'Donnell Hall senator, helped Wallace establish direct deposit. Calandriello said he has heard positive feedback from various resident advisors, and MUSG has plans to ask for student feedback about direct deposit on the organization's end-of-the-year survey.

Calandriello said he hopes new student employees will also utilize direct deposit this fall.

"Once word gets out, direct deposit should grow," Calandriello said.

MUSG Communication Vice President Nicole Garland said the communication department has no official plans to publicize direct deposit next year. However, Garland said she wanted to work with the Office of the Comptroller to attach direct deposit information forms to the back of paychecks.

The Office of the Comptroller did attach information forms to student paychecks at the end of February, including an explanation of the program and instructions for students wishing to sign up. Garland said similar forms would be helpful to new student employees in the fall.

"I think students found the information incredibly beneficial," Garland said. "That's why (direct deposit) exploded so quickly."

Direct deposit information and authorization forms are available in new student employee information packets and also at the US Bank in the Alumni Memorial Union, which Antoniewicz said is helping promote direct deposit.

Antoniewicz said she does not expect many more students to sign up for direct deposit by the end of the school year but said the option is still available. She said it is a great option for students enrolled in summer classes who will be working at the university.

After a student signs up, direct deposit takes two to three pay periods to implement. This allows the payroll office and the banks to do what is called "pre-noting," a confirmation of the student's account and routing numbers. Pre-noting is a safety precaution and is "a must," according to Antoniewicz.