City brews plethora of things to do

College — there really is more to it than books, classes and studying.

While your professors might do everything in their power to keep you locked in the dorms cramming for a test or scrambling to write a paper, on occasion there will be time to catch a movie or your favorite band.

Maybe you can even escape the dining halls for a night and have dinner out on the town. Lucky for you, Marquette lies in the heart of a city that has plenty to offer when it comes to entertainment. If you're willing to explore Milwaukee, you're sure to find something you can dig. Here's a basic guide to several sights and sounds of Milwaukee, complete with bus directions.

Movies

The Oriental Theatre is the place to go for an ultimate movie-going experience. The theater offers an array of independent and foreign films, and most Saturday nights at midnight "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is played with a live cast performing.

Address: 2230 N. Farwell Ave.

Bus: 30-Maryland or 30-Downer to North Street. Walk one block west to Farwell, and turn left. The Oriental will be right in front of you.

The Downer Theatre is owned by the same company that runs the Oriental. Also located on the Eastside, independent and foreign films are the standard fare.

Address: 2589 N. Downer Ave.

Bus: 30-Downer. The theater will be on your left.

Times Cinema is a great place to see your Jimmy Stewart and Clark Gable films. However, every week is the "Friday Night Freak Show" at midnight, which is currently featuring "The NeverEnding Story" and will play "Blue Velvet" and "Tron" in the coming weeks.

Address: 5906 W. Vliet St.

Bus: 11-Vliet-Howell. The easiest way to jump aboard this bus is to travel down to the corner of Water Street and East Wisconsin Avenue. After traveling several miles down Vliet, the Times will be on your right.

AMC Mayfair Mall is the place to go for your digital sound, stadium seating and 20+ screens. It features basic, mainstream movies. Located in Mayfair Mall, you can also get some shopping done while you're there.

Address: 2500 N. Mayfair Rd.

Bus: 31-Mayfair. As long as you're willing to go along for the ride, the bus will take you into the mall parking lot. The theater is on the second floor.

Concerts

The Rave is the closest major venue for shows. This year it features everyone from Marilyn Manson to Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Whether you like metal, ska, techno, jam or pop, The Rave hosts it all. It's just down the street from campus, so you can leave your dorm minutes before show time if necessary.

Address: 2401 W. Wisconsin Ave.

Bus: Walking is the easiest, west to 24th Street. Oftentimes, a LIMO will even take you there.

The Riverside is on the classier end of theatres in Milwaukee. Broadway plays, comedians and a variety of musicians come through each year.

Address: 116 W. Wisconsin Ave.

Bus: The easiest and probably fastest way to get there is to simply walk east on Wisconsin Avenue. The theater is located directly across the street from Grand Avenue Mall. Or take any bus headed downtown.

Restaurants

Mexican: La Perla is a favorite for Mexican cuisine. Whether it's tacos, enchiladas or something a little more daring, the menu is extensive and relatively cheap. And there's a chili pepper you can ride — just like a mechanical bull.

Address: 734 S. 5th St.

Hours: Sun.-Thurs. 11:00 a.m.-10 p.m., Fri.-Sat. 11:00 a.m.-11:30 p.m.

Bus: Walk to 6th Street. Take 80 south to National. Walk one block east.

Vegetarian: Beans & Barley Market and Cafe is a dream come true for any vegetarian or vegan. After your meal, make sure to grab something from the bakery, whether it's a muffin or cheesecake.

Address: 1901 E. North Ave.

Hours: Mon.-Sat. 9:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m., Sun. 9:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.

Bus: 30-Maryland or 30-Downer to North Street. Walk two blocks west. Beans & Barley is on your left.

Pizza: Pizza Shuttle is open late, you can order from more than 25 different appetizers, and there's a daily custard flavor. While you might prefer pepperoni, you could be adventurous and test out their Thai curry pizza. They will deliver to campus as well.

Address: 1827 N. Farwell Ave.

Hours: Sun.-Thurs. 11 a.m.-2 a.m., Fri.-Sat. 11 a.m.-3 a.m. Custard hours: 11 a.m.-midnight.

Bus: 30-Downer or 30-Maryland to Royall. Walk west to Farwell.

Coffee or Tea: Rochambo Coffee and Tea House is a great spot for studying, live music and poetry readings. Their list of teas is never-ending, and they also have a decent selection of coffee concoctions. The main floor is smoke-free; the top floor a smoker's paradise.

Address: 1317 E. Brady St.

Hours: Mon.-Fri. 7 a.m.-midnight, Sat. 8 a.m.-midnight, Sun. 9 a.m.-midnight.

Bus: 30-Downer or 30-Maryland to Brady Street. Walk west down Brady. Rochambo is on your left.