Conference play opens with two losses

Statistically speaking, the two teams were equally matched in most categories. The Bearcats ended the meeting with a 25.5 hitting percentage while the Golden Eagles ended with a 20.5 percent. Cincinnati finished the contest with a 77-72 dig advantage, while the Golden Eagles came out ahead in the block department, 12-11.

Sophomore Theresa Coughlin lead the team with 22 kills, while junior Erin Freer and senior Ann Lopata also ended the match with double digits in the kill department. Senior Gemma Greer lead the team in assists with 59 and freshman Jamie Mueller finished with a team high 19 digs.

Saturday the Golden Eagles closed out their first weekend of conference action when they met the No. 18-ranked Louisville Cardinals at Cardinal Arena. Louisville came into the match with a record of 8-3 including a mark of 1-0 in conference as they beat DePaul the previous night.

In four games, Louisville came out on top with a victory, recording final scores of 30-22, 29-31, 32-30 and 30-25. The Cardinals enjoyed a 100-87 edge in digs along with an 8-4 advantage in the blocks department over the Golden Eagles.

According to Coughlin, the Louisville game gave the team a boost of confidence.

"I am proud of the way we played against Louisville," she said. "In game three of the match they started to slow down in terms of their play. It showed that we pushed them to the limit."

Leading the way for the Golden Eagles was Coughlin, who had 23 attacks. Freer and Lopata rounded out the double-digit attackers for the team. Lopata also tied Mueller and junior Sarah Vernon with 16 digs.

Saturday also marked a milestone for senior captain Gemma Greer. When Greer finished the match on Saturday, she moved into second place all-time on the Golden Eagles assist list as she passed Jennifer Martin with 3,700 helpers.

As a captain, Greer has given her teammates someone to look to for guidance during the season.

"Gemma has always been a captain since I've been here and on the court she displays a great amount of intensity," Coughlin said.

"Gemma has been a great leader and someone to look to on the team," Mueller said. "She helps to drive and carry the team. Her inspiration along with her words before and after the game carry the team."

The losses move the Golden Eagles overall record to 3-12, including a mark of 0-2 in conference.

This weekend the Golden Eagles open up their home portion of the C-USA schedule. On Friday they take on Charlotte (6-14, 0-2 C-USA). On Saturday the Golden Eagles host East Carolina (8-10, 0-2 in the conference).

The team will be playing its first set of home games in almost a month, which is something Coughlin and Mueller are both looking forward to.

"It is going to be very fun playing at home this weekend," Coughlin said. "There are no tournaments; it is just two games so the day won't be as long. With us being at home it should give us a chance to set the pace and make other teams play our game."

"It is nice to know we will have more support this weekend," Mueller said. "Playing at home gives our friends and family a better chance to go to the game so we will have more of an advantage this weekend. Also, our gym is different from most of the other ones we play in, which will be something other teams will have to adjust to."