Contemplating ‘cat vomit’

Watanabe has worked for several scientific publications including “Scientist,” “Biotechnology,” “Nature Medicine” and “Lab Animal.” She is currently working on a number of other projects such as a report on bio-terrorism, a book proposal and articles on nanotechnology and bioinformatics. Wantanabe teaches part-time at a community college.

Watanabe gave a stern warning for individuals who want to enter her career.

“Whether you are a full-time writer or just a free-lance writer, read your contracts,” Watanabe said. “If you don’t understand the contract contact someone who does. Writers should always copyright their works as well. There is very little legal recourse for a writer whose work is taken if there is not a copyright in place.”

One audience member said Watanabe was extremely entertaining.

“The ability to communicate science to the non-scientist is an amazing gift,” said Biological Sciences Chair Brian Unsworth. “We’re very excited to have her here and demonstrate how to make science accessible to the general public. She is an extremely talented writer.”

Watanabe’s seminar started with a broad overview of journalism and information about how to succeed in the field. The focus then moved to science writing, various science publications to work for and practices for bolstering a science writing resume.

Watanabe advised individuals who want to pursue a career in science writing to attain a Ph.D in the area of science they are most interested in and would most enjoy writing for. However Watanabe did stress that there are no official requirements to become a science writer and anyone interested in the field can try their luck.

Kelli Rose, a biology graduate student, attended the seminar and said she came away well informed.

“It was very informative and unusual from the other seminars so far,” Rose said. “I appreciated her candidness and light-heartedness. It was very objective, focusing on both the negatives and positives of her profession. I never even knew science writing existed. Her seminar opened up a whole new avenue of job opportunities to me. She was very knowledgeable about writing and science.”

The seminar concluded with Watanabe talking about various salaries of science writers. Salaries of $150,000 to $250,000 are “not uncommon to hear of,” according to Watanabe. But the salary isn’t the only reason Watanabe is in her line of work.

“I love what I do,” Watanabe said. “I never know what each day is going to bring. I have met fascinating people with fascinating stories, whose stories I otherwise would not have heard. I get to call celebrities by their first names. It’s great.”