Sports Check

Tribune: Is Marquette's Public Safety one of the top-ranked campus security systems in the nation?

Rickard: Absolutely. For Jesuits' public safety departments, it is the best in the country. It is the best in the country.

Tribune: What type of training do some of your officers have

Rickard: They go through a lot of training. When we hire an officer, they go through approximately four to six months of training — defense and arrest tactics, firearms instruction, report writing, general policies and procedures and then geographically to get around and how the operation works.

Tribune: Where are you from originally?

Rickard: Philadelphia, Penn.

Tribune: What sport did you play growing up?

Rickard: Football and baseball. I was a pitcher and a quarterback.

Tribune: What college did you go to?

Rickard: My first year playing football, I went to West Point Prep School, then the year after that I went to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.

Tribune: What is your most memorable football moment while you were in college?

Rickard: I'd say playing across Steve Mariucci (current Detroit Lions head coach) who at that time played for Northern Michigan. We played against them at Whitewater in the '70s and he was on one side of the ball as quarterback and I was on the other side.

Tribune: Who is your all-time favorite quarterback?

Rickard: Ron Jaworski (former Philadelphia Eagle quarterback in the late '70s). I got to meet him a couple of times and not only is he a great athlete but he's a wonderful person. I was fortunate to play nine holes of golf with him. He's just a wonderful guy. He's from a small school and he made it big in the NFL.

Tribune: If you were a quarterback in the NFL right now, who would be your go-to receiver?

Rickard: I would say … I would go with … uh … man that's a tough one. There are so many great receivers. The Packers' Donald Driver. I know you're probably thinking the Vikings wide receiver (Randy Moss) but I think Donald Driver is just a great athlete and has some great talent.

Tribune: Do you think Tampa Bay is overrated?

Rickard: No. I think they're a great football team.

Tribune: Did you see that loss to Indianapolis?

Rickard: Every pro team is going to lose one game. I'd say they've got one of the best defenses in the game. Maybe that's because they beat my Eagles in the beginning of the year and last year in the playoffs! (Slaps his hand on his desk). I don't think their offense is that strong.

Tribune: Packers or Eagles?

Rickard: Ohh, you did this to me. On Nov. 10, the Monday Night game, the Eagles are playing at Lambeau. The Packers are 3-4, and my Eagles won, so they're above .500, at 4-3. I would say the Eagles by a field goal. I'm going to get killed for doing this. I have to go with the home team.

Tribune: In the NFL, how many yards is the offense penalized for a holding penalty?

Rickard: 15. Is that right? It was 15, they changed it a couple of years ago, and they changed it to 10.

Tribune: Two teams are tied for the most Super Bowl wins, with five apiece. Which two?

Rickard: Packers. Five Super Bowls? 49ers and … I don't know. (It was actually Dallas and 49ers).

Tribune: What former quarterback holds the record for the most career passing yards?

Rickard: Joe Montana. No? That's not him. No, no, no that's Dan Marino, by far.

Tribune: What NFL team won the first Super Bowl?

Rickard: Packers.