West offers NBA’s best

Don't think this year is going to different.

The Association's top five teams all reside out west and it is a shame to think at least one of them won't even make it out of the first round of the playoffs.

Scary.

Putting these teams in order was a toss-up, but my predictions are as follows:

1) Los Angeles Lakers

Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O'Neal, Karl Malone, Gary Payton … need I say more? They are my NBA Champion with or without Bryant available for the playoffs.

2) Dallas Mavericks

With the additions of Antoine Walker, Antawn Jameson and Tony Delk, the Mavs are the best offensive team ever assembled. Along with Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash and Michael Finley, they have the potential to score 120 points a night. The Mavs are the most exciting team to watch in all of basketball since Grinnell College.

3) Minnesota Timberwolves

Kevin Garnett begged and pleaded for more help around him and he got what he wanted. Receiving the likes of Sam Cassell, Latrell Sprewell and Michael Olowokandi in the off-season just might get Minnesota to the second round of the playoffs.

4) San Antonio Spurs

The reigning champs will have a tough time defending their title. The top three teams in the West will be too much for Tim Duncan and Co.

5) Sacramento Kings

The Kings improved their roster slightly from a year ago, but not enough to be higher than fifth. Chris Webber will be out at least a month due to injury and that will add a few extra losses to their record.

6) Phoenix Suns

Super sophomore Amare Stoudemire has a lot on his shoulders to produce even more after last season's rookie-of-the-year campaign. But when you play aside Stephon Marbury and Shawn Marion, the job gets a little bit easier.

7) Houston Rockets

So who is the franchise, coach Jeff Van Gundy or Steve Francis? They just want to win so don't expect any problems here. Francis and Yao Ming aren't exactly Clyde Drexler and Hakeem Olajuwon yet, but they're on their way.

8) Portland TrailBlazers

Zach Randolph is my choice for most improved player in the league and moving Rasheed Wallace to small forward may be a good move. The Jailblazers will miss Scottie Pippen and Arvydas Sabonis more than they thought they would. Anotheir first round loss at the hands of the Lakers looks possible.

For the rest of the West, there are some talented teams going unnoticed. The Memphis Grizzlies are on the verge of their first ever playoff appearance. Carmelo Anthony and Andre Miller may make Denver the league's most improved team. Ray Allen and the Sonics will be a threat. As for Utah, Golden State and the Clippers, they will all be competing for the worst record in the league.