Sodexho serves unfairness

Management at Sodexho has gotten progressively worse since my freshman year. The practices and policies used to be clear cut and understandable. It was communicated by the building managers to the student managers and the student workers. Now, many of the building managers don’t relate to the students or communicate what needs to be done or what policies to follow. For example, firing policies. Aside from my firing without warning or direct explanation, there have been numerous firings that are contradictions to the policies I was taught were in effect. The policy states that three write-ups (you usually get written up for not showing up or discipline matters) results in termination.

One student this summer had only one legitimate write-up and was terminated regardless. When the on-duty building manager was asked why, no clear logical reason was given. Another student was also fired two years ago for not showing up, yet many students who did the same weren’t. What are the managers conveying here? They didn’t even communicate to the terminated students the reason for their termination.

Other practices by building managers have become troubling to see in an establishment where service and quality are stressed to the student customers. Many, but not all students that went back to work this semester found that they have to punch out for their 15-minute break. This was not a policy last year and may seem like a shock to many student workers because many of them, like me, were told when they were hired that they get a free meal every time they work.

This policy isn’t in effect in every hall, which makes management issues more and more confusing especially if you work at two different halls. In fact, Wisconsin State law says that if you work four hours (which just about every student does), you get a 15-minute paid break. Now, 15 minutes doesn’t sound like a lot, but if you add up the unpaid breaks of the many students that work, it adds up to a lot of money the hard working students don’t receive. I just can’t imagine that many of the the building managers and upper management in Sodexho would treat their student workers so harshly and unrewarding.

I have no problem with getting fired or being told not to show up anymore, but reasoning would help me understand why this is, and also, so I don’t have to worry about my former co-workers getting the shaft like I did. If this opinion seems like a plea for sympathy let me assure you it isn’t. All I ask for is students and student workers to be aware of management practice in their various cafeterias and jobs. Not all management is bad at the cafeterias, in fact, except for a few halls, I feel the chef managers work harder and are way more qualified to run these dining halls. To the other higher management at Sodexho, please treat your student employees for what they truly are: the main reason you can still keep a job.

Galloway is a senior biology and psychology major.