MUSG gives out $10,100

“We have received a lot of support from MUSG,” said senior Angie Gius, co-chair of JUSTICE.

The Student Organization Allocation committee funding allows the group to make their annual trip to Ft. Benning, Ga., where they protest the establishment formerly known as the School of Americas, now called the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation. Along with other Jesuit schools, they participate in the Ignatian Teach-In, Gius said.

“Their funding allows us to get a huge bus with seating for about 55, and they allow us to make the trip accessible to a lot of students,” Gius said.

BSO, a cultural awareness group, will use most of its funding for the Midwest Association of Filipinos Conference.

The Student Organization Allocations committee that makes these decisions is composed of Wallace, senior off-campus senator Brett Blomme, senior College of Arts & Sciences senator Alex Hermanny, freshman College of Communication senator Katie Kral, freshman McCormick Hall senator CJ Hoffman and adviser Pam Larde, coordinator for student organizations and leadership.

Larde said her role in the committee is an objective one.

“I sit in on meetings when they are reviewing applications and provide information about the applicants, but I do not have a vote,” Larde said.

The committee takes applications from recognized student organizations seven times each academic year, Wallace said. This was the third allocation period. Organizations may apply for funding no more than three times per year.

In its constitution, MUSG is mandated to set aside 25 percent of its budget for student organizations each year. This year, 25.1 percent of MUSG’s budget was used to fund student organizations, an amount of $76,950, according to the MUSG budget.

Ten organizations received amounts less than $1,500. These were the Arab Student Organization, the Indian Student Organization, InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, Knights of Columbus, Club Paintball, MU Gospel Choir, Phi Alpha Theta, Pi Delta Phi, Sigma Lambda Beta fraternity and Teachers for Social Justice.

Only one organization, Students for Life, applied for and did not receive funding because it requested funds for a capital good.

“SOA is a fairly unique committee,” Wallace said. “It was modeled after a University of Illinois committee, but we are unique in that we write our own checks for funding rather than going through a separate department in the university.”