Wireless Internet service goes citywide

By January 2004, all public libraries in the city of Milwaukee will be able to provide patrons with free wireless Internet access.

The wireless network project in the libraries will cost $50,000, including equipment and installation charges, according to a library spokesperson. Ninety percent of expenses will be covered by federal e-rate funding, and the remaining costs will be funded by a $15,000 grant from the SBC Communications Inc. Excelerator grant program.

City Librarian Kathleen M. Huston said she thinks the new wireless service will create a citywide learning community and draw a diverse body of visitors, including students who attend schools in Milwaukee.

“I believe it will attract more students,” she said. “People want to work and study in a place that is welcoming and comfortable. It gives them an opportunity to access print as well as electronic material.”

Bruce Gay, the technical services head for Milwaukee Public Libraries, gave the go-ahead for the implementation of wireless services.

“This service lets anybody come in and furthers the public library ideal of free service to everyone,” Gay said. “It’s a way to help people reach the information they’re looking for.”

Nicholas Burckel, dean of libraries, agreed that expanded technology services within the city create an environment conducive to learning and research.

“We know much learning goes on outside the classroom and that it continues for many who don’t get to college,” he said. “That is the tragedy of closing libraries in times of fiscal constraint. That’s the very time that the community needs access to information.”

Burckel said even though library computers are occupied to capacity during peak usage hours, he did not think the expansion of technology at city libraries would draw many Marquette students away from traditional university study spots.

“There are many study spaces across the campus, including the Alumni Memorial Union, Cudahy, computer labs in individual colleges,” he said. “The Milwaukee Public Library’s greatest appeal will be to students in Straz Tower (Hall) because of the proximity.”

The city’s Central Library, 814 W. Wisconsin Ave., is located almost across the street from Straz Tower.

Sophomore Megan Phannenstill said despite the new wireless service that will be in place next year at the nearby Central Library, she prefers to use campus technology and study at school facilities.

“Raynor is just more convenient,” she said. “It’s less of a hassle for me to get there and come back late at night, and if I’m working on a group project it’s easier to get everyone together at that location.”

Sophomore Grant Lorge, who uses the Raynor Library daily, agreed.

“I’d rather study in the school library,” he said. “I have access to my textbooks there, and I like Raynor’s atmosphere. It’s more geared toward our needs as students.”