Law school gets $105,000 donation

Marquette's law school could soon be dancing to the tune of a $105,000 donation.

Adrian P. Schoone, a trial lawyer for Racine law firm Schoone, Leuck, Kelley, Pitts, and Knurr, S.C., donated the money to "support faculty research and scholarship concerning Wisconsin law," said law school dean Joseph D. Kearney.

The law school announced the donation Nov. 11.

Schoone, a 1959 honors graduate of the Marquette Law School, said he wanted to foster the study of Wisconsin law, both legislative and judicial. He made the gift after discussing his idea with Kearney, and both men agreed there was a need for such a gift.

Kearney said the gift should enable the law school to both move forward by increasing funds for faculty research and enhance what has been done in the school's past.

Kearney also said the gift will enable the law school to "think creatively whether we pursue enough scholarship concerning Wisconsin law and talk about how we can do more in this new field."

"As the new dean, I am enthused that one of our alumni has sufficient confidence in the direction of the law school that he would be willing to make such a large gift," Kearney said.

While law professors said they greatly appreciate the gift, details of implementation have yet to be worked out.

"The law school is currently in the process of figuring out how to best specifically use the funds to support the goals the gift is intended to support," Kearney said.

Schoone said he remembered the generosity of Marquette and expressed gratitude for the scholarships he received as a student here and the education that allowed him to find success in his chosen field.

Thomas Hammer, associate professor of law, called Schoone's donation a wonderful concept.

"This donation will help the development of law in Wisconsin and will also serve as support for critical analysis of Wisconsin law," Hammer said. "It's wonderful for the state as well as the school."

From his time at Marquette, Schoone said he fondly remembers the importance of dedication to one's studies, a strong esprit de corps among the students and an atmosphere where academic excellence was paramount.

Schoone said his dedication to his studies led him and his classmates to spend their Friday nights at the library until 10 or 10:30 p.m., when they would close their books and go to a nearby pub.

After starting his career at what is now Wisconsin's second-largest law firm, Schoone said he left voluntarily but not before realizing his education at Marquette better prepared him for practicing Wisconsin law than "a so-called far more prestigious school out East."

"Marquette law is a great place to prepare a lawyer for private practice in Wisconsin," Schoone said.