Behind the Arc with Tony Varga

Vince Carter vs. Tracy McGrady. Lakers vs. Kings. Kobe Bryant vs. the entire city of Philadelphia.

But not since the 1970s and '80s, when fans were blessed to see Magic Johnson vs. Larry Bird, have we the ingredients for a rivalry like this.

LeBron James vs. Carmelo Anthony.

James: Two-time National High School Player of the Year, the most sought after and published high school athlete ever. Nicknamed "The Truth." He is a natural born court leader. He possesses unbelievable court vision and passing skills that have only been seen by Magic Johnson. Very mature for an 18-year old rookie and does not force shots. The sky is the limit for this young man.

Despite the Cleveland Cavaliers starting 0-3, James has turned many heads because of his unselfish play. Especially having his first three games all nationally televised, the media attention has been insane. Averaging 18 points, 7.3 rebounds, 7.7 assists and 2.33 steals per game thus far, he is exceeding many early expectations.

Anthony: Led the Syracuse Orangemen to the 2003 NCAA National Championship as a freshman, while being named Final Four MVP. 'Melo is very athletic with tremendous court vision. Known for his first step and his low post skills. Picked by many experts to be named Rookie of the Year.

The Denver Nuggets, owners of a surprising 2-1 record, have already knocked off West powers San Antonio and Sacramento. Anthony has shined for the most part thus far averaging 17.7 points and 7.3 rebounds a game.

James and Anthony are good friends. Both stand 6-foot-8. James never ruled out playing college basketball until Anthony decided to go pro. There was no doubt that they wanted to enter the league and spotlight together. James even presented the ESPY to Anthony for winning 2003 Best Male College Athlete.

Not taking anything away from Darko Milicic, the second overall pick in the 2003 draft, who will someday be a powerful force in the league. But James and Anthony are ready to make an impact today. The two phenoms square square off tomorrow night in a nationally televised game on ESPN. I recommend every basketball fan to watch it.

All year long people will be going back and forth debating who is having a better rookie year and who deserves to crowned the King of the 2003 rookie class. Even after this year, the final judgements on the better player will last their entire career based on their personal and team achievements. So whether you're a fan of 'Bron or 'Melo, this rivalry is destined to be one for the ages.