Women eager to get back on track

The day after the loss, coaches Markus Roeders and Frank Pelaez went back to work with the team in what Roeders said was one of the best training sessions the team has had so far.

“We’re excited to get out there, especially if we play like we practiced (Sunday),” Roeders said.

Now the Golden Eagles hope to sweep their next three opponents in the three matches scheduled in the next five days.

Tonight, the team will face the Wisconsin-Green Bay Phoenix (1-3-1), in its10th meeting with Marquette since its first match in 1993. The Golden Eagles have won the last eight matches and have allowed just one goal in those eight games while scoring 25 of their own.

“It’s another one of those games that takes on a meaning of their own,” Roeders said. “Their roster is all from Wisconsin, and they struggled the last four games. They might present a difficult challenge for us.”

Last Saturday the Phoenix lost to Creighton 4-2, allowing three goals in the second half after taking a 2-1 lead in the first. The Creighton Blue Jays out shot the Phoenix 14-13, with a 10-5 advantage in shots on goal.

The Phoenix are led by Sarah Oligney who has five points on two goals and one assist for the season.

Roeders, who attended one of UW-Green Bay games this season, said the Phoenix have had trouble defending that goal. With the quality of defense the Golden Eagles have been producing, Marquette won’t have that problem.

Through the last four matches, Marquette allowed just one goal. That was the fewest number of goals allowed in program history this late in the year. Marquette allowed two goals through four matches in the 2000 season.

Roeders said he hopes the team will continue to step up because he said what has enabled the Golden Eagles to bounce back from their losses is their mentality of hard work.

“You have to have a foundation and hard work is our foundation,” Roeders said. “Our players already have that mentality but we enforce it as well.”

The game begins at 7 p.m. tonight in Green Bay.