‘Mafia’ run county exec’s office

Milwaukee County is being run by the mafia.

The "Marquette Mafia," as alumni working in Milwaukee call themselves, make up most of the staff in County Executive Scott Walker's office . The spirit of the school is everywhere — from the chief of staff wearing his Golden Eagles fleece pullover on the day of the big Notre Dame basketball game to the executive assistant exchanging text messages about how Marquette is doing during games with her coworkers.

"'Cura Personalis. Care for the whole person.' That's what we do here," said Dashal Young, the director of community relations who graduated from Marquette with a degree in communication and rhetorical studies in 1995 and earned his master's degree in interpersonal communication two years later.

All of the employees with college degrees in the office except for one graduated from Marquette. That means six out of nine staffers are Marquette alums.

"From our perspective, this office is literally filled to the gills with Marquette grads," said Rod McWilliams, director of communications and 1989 graduate who majored in journalism and public relations.

It is not a coincidence that most of the people in the executive's office are from Marquette, according to Fran Rudig, the executive assistant who graduated in 1982 with degrees in advertising, journalism and Spanish.

"I think most people respect the reputation Marquette has," Rudig said. "It makes for an interesting camaraderie."

Walker himself attended Marquette from 1986 to 1990, although he did not graduate. Scottwalker.org, his Web site devoted to his campaign for governor, said he left Marquette during his senior year to work full-time for the American Red Cross. Walker could not be reached for an interview.

Marquette sometimes comes up during conversations in the office, according to Young.

"We kind of all know each other," Young said. "We shared the same professors. We have similar stories."

Young said he went to Minneapolis with Walker in 2003 to see Marquette when the basketball team played Kentucky State University in the Elite Eight.

"It's nice to be able to have shared stories, collective experiences," Young said.

Chief of Staff Jim Villa , a political science major who graduated in 1990, said he gets overwhelmingly positive reviews of the school from the alumni he meets.

"Marquette alumni are very loyal," he said. "You can't take a cab without meeting a Marquette alumnus."

Alumni have knowledge, a sense of responsibility to give back to the community, and share a belief in tradition, said Ed Eberle, assistant chief of staff and a 1993 graduate who majored in psychology and political science.

"I really do truly like everyone I work with and I think a lot of that is the respect and trust everyone has," Eberle said.

Marquette is distinctive in its emphasis on teaching people to think, and not just handing them a degree, McWilliams said.

"People think of a Marquette degree with a certain sense of pride," he said.

Rudig said she was able to get a very broad education, which was helpful in her career.

"The depth that you went into to work on papers and things … you can apply that to anything," she said.

Several staff members said the Jesuit tradition was an important aspect of a Marquette education.

"To be identified with Marquette University is a unique and special thing. The shared experience of not only academic but a religious regimen…that's what makes it unique," said Young, who still attends services at Gesu Church, 1145 W. Wisconsin Ave. , or St. Joan of Arc Chapel.

Villa said he was very impressed with the Jesuits.

"I think the biggest value is you really learn to be someone who respects themselves and others," Villa said.

And that respect can translate into the mission of everyday work.

"We all attended the same institution, and we are all here for the same mission, to serve the county executive," Young said.