Eagles sweep last home match

After the men's tennis team lost to DePaul, head coach Steve Rodecap said he wanted to see his team fight back when they got punched in the gut.

Well, Friday against UW-Green Bay, Marquette did not wait to fight. The Golden Eagles were throwing all the first punches and came out on top with a 7-0 sweep of the Phoenix.

"We had a couple of tough practices after the DePaul match and just worked on our intensity," Rodecap said.

That intensity propelled the Golden Eagles to a sweep in the three doubles matches, including an 8-0 win by Brett Binkley and Pete Van Lieshout in No. 2 doubles.

The only team that struggled initially was the No. 1 doubles, who had their serve broken early in the match.

"In doubles we got off to a fairly good start, with the exception of number one," Rodecap said.

But seniors Eigis Vedrickas and Ian Kawas broke back and won the match 8-5.

The strike-first mentality played out especially well in singles play. Every Marquette player won the first set — three of them by a score of 6-0 — to quickly put Green Bay's backs against the wall.

Freshman Trent Hagan allowed Green Bay's Mark Goldin to push the match to a third set before Hagan won 7-5, 4-6, 6-4. Every other Marquette player was able to close out his opponent in two sets.

Binkley's success in doubles carried into singles play, and he took the match 6-0, 6-1. Greg Sirotek defeated Scott Dickert 6-0, 6-4 to continue his undefeated season so far.

After its initial eight home matches, Marquette will travel to Corpus Christi, Texas, for the HEB Championships.

The momentum of a sweep will be important heading into the tournament, which features 12 teams, nine of which are nationally ranked, including fellow Big East member No. 30 Louisville and HEB defending champions No. 38 Texas Tech.

"That's the level these guys want to be at," Rodecap said.

The other big adjustment is that they will be playing outdoors for the first time after playing all their games so far at the Helfaer Stadium. Rodecap said they plan on getting down to the site on Wednesday so they can practice on the outdoor courts before their match against Brigham Young on Thursday.