New Smithsonian Institution museum director to speak on campus

For public historians everywhere it is the opportunity of a lifetime — to be named founding director of a Smithsonian Institution museum. For Lonnie Bunch, it's a dream that has become reality.

Bunch, recently named founding director of the National Museum of African American History and Culture, will be presenting "What's it Like to Build a New Museum?" on Friday at 2 p.m. in David Straz Hall 105.

The event will include a discussion of Bunch's involvement in the creation of the new Smithsonian museum.

Part of Bunch's role as founding director will be to help establish the museum's mission, what will go in the museum and, most importantly, where the museum will be.

"This is an incredibly daunting task he has taken on," John Krugler, associate professor of history, said of Bunch. "With the museum's location being somewhere on the National Mall, and his role in deciding where it's actually going to be and what's going to be in it, it's a massive undertaking."

Prior to Bunch's appointment to the museum in 2005, he served as president of the Chicago Historical Society and has also held several positions with the Smithsonian Institution.

"He is definitely one of the top historians in the country today," Krugler said. "He's definitely the most visible. Everyone is watching what is going on with the National Museum of African American History and Culture."

Scholars around the country are applauding the addition of the museum to the Smithsonian attractions in Washington, D.C., saying it is sorely needed.

"It's long overdue and absolutely vital to acknowledging part of America's culture," said Nicholas Creary, assistant professor of history.

"To omit that part of American history would be omitting a lot," Creary said. "It makes it a lot easier to forget a lot of the unpleasant past of America. I think this will have a tremendous and corrective effect."

With a recent addition of an interdisciplinary minor in public history at Marquette as of 2005, Krugler hopes Bunch's visit to campus will increase awareness of all the possibilities that exist in the career field of public history.

"We really hope for students to see the possibilities for a career in public history and what a really successful public historian looks like," Krugler said.

Rachel Schmeling, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, is one of those students whose interest has been piqued by the new minor in public history.

"I'm really exploring all the realms of public history so I can see all the possibilities that a minor like this would include," Schmeling said. "A minor in public history would really involve more of a living history, speaking to people and involving them in a more hands-on experience."

The presentation is free and open to the public, and will be followed by a reception. The event is sponsored by the Marquette Department of History and the College of Arts & Sciences.