‘Inside the mind of a serial killer’

Internationally renowned psychiatrist George B. Palermo, most famous for his work with the case of Milwaukee serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer, will present a lecture on homicidal syndromes today.

Palermo, who interviewed Dahmer between October 1991 and January 1992, will present "Inside the Mind of a Serial Killer … A lecture on homicidal syndromes with emphasis on the case of Jeffrey Dahmer" in Cudahy Hall 001 at 7 pm. The event, sponsored by the Marquette University Criminology and Law Society, hopes to draw a crowd interested in Palermo's work and educate students on Palermo's profession.

"We hope students are able to gain a better understanding of what forensic psychiatrists actually do," said Cory Beers, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences and president of the Criminology and Law Society.

According to Beers, the lecture will focus on what goes on in the mind of serial killers, and will hopefully touch on Palermo's personal work in deciding whether or not Dahmer was sane at the time of his trial.

"He'll talk about what draws serial killers to do what they do," said Beers, who added that he will "try to get (Palermo) to speak on why he found Dahmer to be legally sane."

Members of the Criminology and Law Society are quick to warn, however, that this will not be a lecture for those who think it will be an entertaining break from their studies.

"This will not be a lecture for your typical undergraduate student who thinks this will be fun," said Amanda Deer, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences and member of the Criminology and Law Society. "This will definitely have graphic material that some people may not like."

Deer said what has set Palermo apart from other psychiatrists who worked in the Dahmer case was his research into Dahmer's family.

"As opposed to other psychiatrists, (Palermo) went so far as to actually interview his family, which you don't see a lot," said Deer.

The Criminology and Law Society tries to bring in two speakers a month to touch on different subjects in the area of the criminal justice system and law. The society has been trying to get Palermo to come and speak for some time, Beers said. Beers also said he hopes the appearance by Palermo will boost meeting attendance for the society.