DJ’s song choice should have been ‘Outkast’

My roommate and I were sitting around our living room Friday reminiscing about the Snow Ball dance. They had a moment of silence for the troops overseas. The gesture seemed heartfelt and appropriate even in the context of a college dance, as we should constantly be reminded of our brave citizens and the sacrifices they make.

What I find perplexing about this situation was the song selection after the silence. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the DJ said in transition but it was the normal DJ spiel, then I believe he dedicated the next song to the troops. I was standing at the guardrail directly in front of the DJ. I started chanting 'Boss,' because I expected to hear Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA." Instead was Outkast's "Bombs Over Baghdad."

I'm not going to get on my soapbox and say that this is disgraceful and that I was upset from the beginning, because I wasn't. Honestly, I'm a big fan of Outkast pre-"Hey Ya," and I danced and shouted the chorus- "Bombs Over Baghdad"- with the Morris Brown College Gospel Choir and everyone else.

The realization was a week late for me. Luckily, I had a copy of the Jan. 24 Tribune, so I read the coverage on the dance expecting to see that someone had noticed it well before my roommate and I. Alas, all I discovered was that the dance was "a huge success."

"Bombs Over Baghdad" was released in 2000, before Operation Iraqi Freedom and the subsequent occupation. The song refers to the 1991 Gulf War. Although not about recent events, the song selection is a major faux pas to say the least. Seemingly, there was meant to be a direct connection to more contemporary events, since the song was played for the current troops overseas.

U.S. and coalition forces heavily bombed Baghdad in March and April of 2003. We must realize that bombing a city, or anywhere, for that matter, is not to be viewed as a source of pride, no matter the war or the situation. Human beings are killed in bombings, including innocent ones. There are innumerable songs out there that highlight American courage, pride, bravery and determination, so why would the DJ attempt to hype mass killing, and why did no one notice it?

Granted, it's easier to dance to Outkast than it is to Bruce Springsteen, but something like "Born in the USA" would have been perfect. People would have had their hands in the air shouting the lyrics. It's the only song I know of that incorporates American pride with pacifist sentiment.

This school, like many universities in the United States, is liberal but that shouldn't matter. I don't believe the refusal to advocate killing is partisan. I just believe people should have taken interest in this matter, especially at an institution that puts such a high standard on human rights. This situation cannot be overlooked. I'm not saying there should be protests or boycotts. I'm not saying people should be more politically correct. I'm not saying there should be outrage. All I'm saying is what Arnold H. Glasow said before me: "The trouble with ignorance is that it picks up confidence as it goes along."