Train back on track with ‘For Me, It’s You’

It's hard to believe Train has been around for eight years now. The band's first CD, Train, came out in 1998 with the modest hit "Meet Virginia." Now in 2006, the band's newest, For Me, It's You, has hit shelves.

Let's just say this outright: Train will never surpass the success of "Drops of Jupiter." Face the facts. That song was amazing and the songs that follow will take a backseat to it. Now whether or not Train can become a band that can reinvent itself or make the whole music scene sit and listen is the question.

For Me, It's You isn't a reinvention; it's not even a huge step up from the downer that was My Private Nation in 2003. Notes and lyrics change, but the formula stays the same.

This may seem bad, but it's really not. Give the public what they want.

Train focuses mostly on uplifting its audience. For Me, It's You produces uncontrollable foot tapping and swaying. The songs primarily have an upbeat feel and have strong lyrics with vivid imagery.

"Cab," the first single off the CD, is catchy, yet mellow. With the signature piano solo to open the song, lead singer Pat Monahan paints a picture with words about coming to terms with not getting something or someone. "The nights are so lonely / sometimes I think I'm the only cab on the road." However, it's a metaphorical song. New York City has more than one cab, even when it feels like there's only one, getting to the point that there are plenty of people dealing with similar feelings.

If you're looking for a sexy song, "Explanation" is perfect. It's a song asking for an explanation, for total honesty, to a variety of questions while set to a backdrop of slow beats and, at times, strong, stand-out guitar chords.

By far, the CD stays closer to the mellow, relaxed tones. The quickest tempo goes to "Get Out." There are a few more standouts, including the title track and "All I Ever Wanted" both are worthy of being the next single.

What For Me, It's You does well is showcase Monahan's voice. His voice is unique and distinguishable. The songs put his singing skills front and center, which is where the lead singer should be.

Train has been underappreciated for awhile. The band produces feel-good music not really comparable to anyone but Train. It's hard when your own competition is yourself.

The band needs to sit down and write that one song which can surpass "Drops of Jupiter." Otherwise, they can end up like bands like Extreme, haunted by the mega-hit "More Than Words." Everything that follows was sub-par when stacked up against that single hit.

Grade: BC