Team’s struggles continue

The women's tennis team opened a nine-game home stand Friday with hopes of maintaining single digits in the loss column. The Golden Eagles were not granted their wish by the weekend's conclusion.

The Golden Eagles dropped to 3-10 (1-1 Big East) after blowout losses to Ohio State Friday and No. 37 New Mexico Sunday. Marquette salvaged just two individual victories all weekend. Maria Calbeto and Lauren Little won at No. 1 doubles against Ohio State's Caitlin O'Keefe and Ciara Finucane 8-3.

"Lauren and Beba had a big win," said Marquette head coach Jody Bronson. "That is the best doubles they've played all year. It was very one-sided; it wasn't a close match at all."

Freshman Little accounted for Marquette's lone singles win, beating New Mexico's Ola Abu-Zekry 6-2, 6-7 (10-6) Sunday.

"Lauren didn't have a great performance in singles against Ohio State, but then she turned it around Sunday," Bronson said.

While it was a successful weekend for Little, Marquette had little else to boast about.

It has been a struggle for the women to play complete matches, Bronson said.

The problem has plagued the squad all year. It has played upper-echelon teams consistently, and has been on the losing side each time. Bronson refused to blame the losses on the team's youth.

"We have juniors on this team who have been playing for two-and-a-half years now. They should be able to step up and start taking control. They need to be able to demonstrate leadership," she said.

The New Mexico Lobos and Ohio State Buckeyes faced one another on Saturday. New Mexico won 4-3. After beating Marquette Sunday, it was the Lobos' eighth consecutive win to move to 8-1 overall. Ohio State drops to 7-4 overall with the loss to UNM.

"The girls are in a groove right now," said New Mexico assistant Roy Canada.

"Now, the key is being able to sustain that level of play as we head down the stretch towards postseason action. You really can't let up at this level, not even for a second."

Marquette will look to rebound at home this weekend in matches against Michigan and Wisconsin-Green Bay in dual action starting Saturday at 10 a.m.