Circuit court justice to lecture at MU

Justice Diane Sykes of the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals will speak on campus today as the 2006 E. Harold Hallows Distinguished Lecturer.

Sykes, a Milwaukee native and 1984 graduate of the Marquette University Law School, will discuss "Reflections on the Wisconsin Supreme Court." According to Joseph D. Kearney, dean of the Law School, it is Sykes' personal connections that affected the decision to bring her to campus for the lecture.

"We asked Judge Sykes to be this year's Hallows Lecturer because of her history with the Law School, her renown in Wisconsin and her increasing prominence in national legal circles," Kearney said. "The fact that the late Chief Justice E. Harold Hallows, who served on the Wisconsin Supreme Court from 1958 to 1974 and was a part-time faculty member at Marquette University Law School from 1930 to 1958, and a prominent member of the Milwaukee bar during that time especially recommended Judge Sykes played a part."

Christopher Wolfe, professor of political science, said Sykes is well-respected.

"In general she's a fairly conservative justice," he said, but "she has very amicable ties with people across the political spectrum. She has a manner that sets up dialogue rather than putting people at odds. Many people do refer to her as a person that is well-known and in high regard."

Sykes served on the Wisconsin Supreme Court from 1999 to 2004. Once rumored to be a potential candidate for nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court following the withdrawal of Harriet Miers in late 2005, Sykes resigned from her seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court to accept appointment to the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

"I expect that Judge Sykes will continue to be mentioned prominently in discussions of possible Supreme Court nominees for some time to come, as long as there is a Republican president," Kearney said. "My own view is that Judge Sykes' talents and experience as an appellate judge, sense of fairness, ability to work with others on the merits of issues and not to be distracted by personalities and inclination toward a restrained view of the appropriate role of the judiciary in society all make her a substantial candidate for the United States Supreme Court."

Sykes' lecture will take place today at 5 p.m. in the Helfaer Theatre. Nancy Rogers, administrative assistant to the dean in the Law School, said registration, which was required for the event, is now closed. Past lecturers include U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia and Wisconsin Supreme Court Chief Justice Shirley S. Abrahamson.