‘Love Your Body Week’ addresses disorders

Ninety-one percent of college women will diet at some point during 2006. Thirty-five percent of them will become pathological dieters. A quarter of pathological dieters will develop an eating disorder.

"Love Your Body Week" is reaching out to those women.

"Eating disorders have been around for a number of years," said Sandy Blaies, clinical social worker and counselor in the Counseling Center who specializes in dealing with eating disorders. "The numbers are growing because of the emphasis our society puts on being perfect and thin. You can look at images in the media — in magazines and movies — and see that glorified thinness. But that's not the only reason. It's a complex problem."

"Love Your Body Week" is bringing the complex issue of eating disorders to the forefront. Screening, counseling and an information session will be offered today from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. in the Alumni Memorial Union.

"The purpose of the screenings is to let people know that there's help available," Blaies said. "We are trying to reduce the stigma that often comes along with having an eating disorder and let students know that there is help available. You're not alone — there is help in the community."

According to Blaies, 95 percent of people with eating disorders are between the ages of 12-25. Ten to 20 percent of college students have some sort of eating disorder. For that 10-20 percent at Marquette, Blaies wants to ensure that they know there is help out there.

"Students always have the option of speaking with a physician at health services, or one of its two registered dieticians," Blaies said. "Confidential counseling is always offered at the counseling center."

"There are certainly potential health risks involved with eating disorders," said Mona Trimble, psychotherapist at the Counseling Center. "They can be real severe and long-term. Some people die. So it is important that people get the help to prevent any possibility of their life being at risk."

Blaies emphasizes that counseling does not just have to be for people with full-fledged eating disorders.

"Counseling doesn't just have to be for people who have an eating disorder," Blaies said. "It can be for someone who knows someone that has an eating disorder, a roommate. Living with someone who has an eating disorder can be difficult. It's hard to know what to say. There is also help for people who are struggling with eating or body image issues, but do not yet have the disorder."

According to Amy Melichar, interim coordinator of health education and promotion for Marquette's Center for Health Education and Promotion, not all students fall into the typical category of either anorexic and bulimic, but rather carry pieces of either one or both.

Melichar said that more students probably fall into the "not otherwise specified" eating disorder category."

"This means that they aren't true anorexics. They aren't true bulimics. They display characteristics and behaviors of each or pieces of each or one or the other," she said.

For students who are concerned about their eating patterns, Melichar said it is important to eat well-balanced meals.

"I think one of the big things is moderation," Melichar said. "Make sure you are getting in your fruits, veggies, protein, calcium sources, good carbohydrates and water. But nothing is off limits. If you enjoy pizza, have the piece … Your body needs fuel to operate and get you through class and commitments day in and day out."