Eagles swept away

The women's tennis team hit the road for the first time since Feb. 26 last weekend. Marquette didn't know what to expect going into Notre Dame, Ind., because the trip marked the first time it has played outdoors this season.

They did not fare well, getting swept 7-0 first to DePaul on Saturday and then to the No. 2 Notre Dame Fighting Irish on Sunday. Marquette failed to win a singles set in either match.

"We were really focused in on that match against DePaul, and for whatever reason we didn't show up to play," said head coach Jody Bronson. "Francina was the only one who played well Saturday. We talked to the girls and they came out and played a lot better against Notre Dame."

"I think we came out and were as ready as we could have hoped for Sunday against Notre Dame," said Marquette assistant coach Vallery Vladea. "We were in some games but it was tough conditions for us out there.

"We've had matches against nationally ranked opponents but that was the first time we saw a top ten team," she added. "You know, they're No. 2 in the country for a reason. They are a really great team."

DePaul was also swept by Notre Dame, 7-0. Blue Demons head coach Mark Ardizzone was astonished at the Irish's level of play.

"They came out this weekend and showed us why they're ranked No. 2 in the country. They don't make hardly any mistakes on the court," he said. DePaul managed to win a No. 1 doubles match against the Fighting Irish. Besides that, Notre Dame won every match it played over the weekend.

Junior Francina Bonnelly was competitive in the first set of her loss to Kristina Stastny. Stastny regrouped between sets for the 6-3, 6-0 win at No. 4 singles.

"She hadn't practiced all week so for her to go out there and be aggressive in all of her matches was a bright spot," Bronson said.

Marquette has one remaining regular season match at Louisville this Saturday. With no seniors on the roster it is important to get the team more comfortable in the Big East.

The squad has followed a five-game win streak with three straight 7-0 losses."We tried to impress upon them how important it is to pick up points," Bronson said. "In Division I it's a matter of fighting from the first point to the last point."

A win at Louisville would be pivotal in getting Marquette a better seed in the Big East Championships, set for April 20 in Tampa, Fla.