Darfur awareness takes off

The Marquette Darfur Action Committee is officially up and running, ready to call the Marquette community to action.

Headed by Barrett McCormick, professor of political science, the committee is coordinating a petition drive to get as many signatures as possible in the Marquette and Milwaukee community to send to elected officials, calling for a stop the genocide currently occurring in Darfur, Sudan.

"We had a trial run that went really well," said McCormick, who was inspired by Paul Rusesabagina's February speech to the Marquette community. "We currently have 2,000 signatures on the petitions. About 50 to 60 people turned up for our first meeting, and we now have in place a central committee of about 15 to 20 people, which is really good."

The petitions are meant to place pressure on elected officials asking them to devote their full attention to end the violence in the region. McCormick said he hopes that once the Marquette community has been covered, outreach can begin in the Milwaukee community, possibly working with the Archdiocese of Milwaukee.

"Our next step is to get as many people to sign as possible," McCormick said. "After we've covered Marquette we'll try to reach out to the entire Milwaukee community. Once we have collected all the signatures we will present the petitions to our elected representatives."

"It's so simple for us to help," said Lily Zarnowiecki, a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences, and DAC participant. "All you have to do is sign a piece of paper. If you don't want to do anything after that, you don't have to."

After hearing about the atrocities happening in Sudan, Zarnowiecki said she was drawn to increasing awareness on campus.

"I live and breathe Darfur," Zarnowiecki said. "There's something going on that not a lot of people know about.

"I am so excited that we are doing something," Zarnowiecki said of the "non-partisan issue. If you care for human life, this is something you can be involved in."

According to some of the roughly 75 attendees of a Monday night gathering that elaborated on the DAC's purpose and activities, getting involved is something that should be on everyone's mind.

"What's going on over there is an absolute tragedy," said Tim Kummer, a junior in the College of Nursing. "To sit back and do nothing is not a choice."

For more information on the DAC, contact McCormick in the Political Science Department or e-mail [email protected].

Amy Bauer of the Tribune staff contributed to this report.