Vilsack jump-starts ’08 election

With nearly two years left on the clock until the 2008 presidential election, the race is already off to an early start after Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack became the first candidate to officially throw his name into the ring on Thursday.

Vilsack, head of the Democratic Governors' Association, did not seek re-election this year, and will instead spend the next two years focusing on his campaign.

In his announcement speech, Vilsack said America needs a president who "is bold and has the courage to create change.

"I will be that president," he said.

He blasted President Bush, who he accused of exploiting fear for partisan gain.

"By any measure or standard we are less safe and less secure than we were six years ago," he said.

Hinting at his campaign platform, Vilsack named health care reform, energy independence and foreign policy revisions as priorities for the nation.

Stephanie Bjornson, a spokeswoman for the Vilsack campaign, said the governor was away on a five-state announcement tour and could not be reached for comment.

Neither the National Republican Committee nor the Republican Party of Iowa returned requests from the Tribune for comment on Vilsack's candidacy.

Previous press releases from the Republican Party of Iowa had accused Vilsack of putting his presidential aspirations ahead of his duties as governor, at one point calling him a "presidential hopeful and sometimes Iowa Governor."

The Republican Party of Iowa also launched TravelingTom.com, a Web site that tracks Vilsack's trips to other states and attacks his policies.

Steffen Schmidt, a professor of political science at Iowa State University, said "start-up candidates" like Vilsack, who do not necessarily have the same name recognition as politicians like New York Sen. Hillary Clinton or Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, enter races early to take advantage of the media buzz that comes with making the announcement first.

He said while Vilsack may be considered an underdog for the Democratic nomination, the political landscape can change so quickly that it is impossible at this point to predict which candidates have the best chance.

"At this point, everybody's a long shot," he said.

Schmidt said Vilsack needs to continue to build name recognition and gain national exposure as his campaign moves forward.

"He needs to become a household name, which he isn't," he said.

He also said Vilsack's association with Iowa, a state that is an early test for Democrats in the presidential primaries, may give his campaign a boost.

Vilsack is facing a field of other potential Democratic candidates that includes Clinton, Obama, Delaware Sen. Joe Biden and former Vice President Al Gore.

Biden has said he intends to seek the Democratic nomination, but has not yet taken formal steps toward doing so. Neither Obama nor Clinton has committed to a 2008 run.

Earlier this year, Wisconsin Sen. Russ Feingold ruled himself out as a presidential candidate.

For Republicans, Arizona Sen. John McCain, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, California Rep. Duncan Hunter and Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney are among the biggest names that have been linked to 2008 presidential runs.

McCain announced last month that he will form an exploratory committee to examine the possibility of running.

Hunter and Giuliani have launched similar committees. Romney has said he will not do so until early next year.

Former Wisconsin Gov.Tommy Thompson also formed an exploratory committee last month, though he would be considered a long shot for the nomination.