Cities begin battle over ship

On this side of the board: Milwaukee. The challenger: Chicago. At stake: the prestige of hosting a once-in-a-lifetime event, along with millions of dollars in tourism revenue.

The two cities are vying to host the commissioning of the U.S. naval battleship Freedom, which is scheduled to happen in late August or early September.,”

Let's play "Battleship."

The two cities are vying to host the commissioning of the U.S. naval battleship Freedom, which is scheduled to happen in late August or early September.

A group of subcontractors – 20 of whom are based in Wisconsin – built the ship in Marinette, Wis. It was christened in Marinette Sept. 23.

After a ship is christened with champagne and sent into the water, officials test the ship. If the U.S. Navy is happy with its perfomance, the ownership changes hands from the builders to the Navy at a commissioning ceremony.

Hosting such a commissioning would be a great honor for the city, according to Dan McElroy, president of the Navy League of the United States, Milwaukee Council and chairman of the Milwaukee Freedom Pre-Commissioning Committee.

"It would put Milwaukee back on the map as a maritime city," McElroy said. "There is a rich history of shipbuilding in Wisconsin."

The Navy will choose the commissioning site, where the ship will officially become the USS Freedom, early next year.

Supporters of Milwaukee as the commissioning site formed the MFPC Committee to showcase the benefits of hosting the event in the city. Committee members have touted Milwaukee's safe harbor, entertainment venues and attractions in an attempt to lure the Navy for a weeklong celebration surrounding the commissioning.

"If they come to Milwaukee, they are the star attraction. In that other city, they'd just be a co-star. We'd throw out the red carpet like no other city would," said Dave Fantle, spokesman for Visit Milwaukee, a local convention of the Visitors Bureau. "It makes sense that it's commissioned in Wisconsin. The Freedom has no real tie to Chicago."

This has been the committee's biggest selling point: The ship that Wisconsin built should be commissioned in its home state.

"It's pride of ownership," said Fran Rudig, member of the committee and executive assistant at the Milwaukee County Executive's office.

Both Rudig and McElroy said they feel Milwaukee is not in competition with "that other city."

"We just want to make sure we put our best foot forward," McElroy said. "But there is a lot of political play."

Politics has certainly played a part in the fight to host the commissioning. Nearly every influential official and political heavyweight has added their two cents. County Executive Scott Walker, Mayor Tom Barrett, U.S. Rep. Mark Green (R-Wis.), former Wisconsin governor Tommy Thompson and former congressman and Defense Secretary Mel Laird have all called or sent letters to the secretary of the Navy.

"I'm sure Chicago and Mayor Daley are doing the same thing for their city," said McElroy.

Both county and city have a large stake in the event. The gala week could bring anywhere between 5,000 and 10,000 Navy crew members, top brass and their families, not to mention national media. Fantle could not guess at the revenue the commissioning would generate, but said it would be a lot with thousands of visitors spending money on hotels, restaurants and entertainment.

"When you consider the amount of positive media attention and prestige we'd receive, the city could make millions for years to come," Fantle said.

While Milwaukee proclaims a personal investment in the Freedom, Chicago boasts its strong connection with the military. Officials in Chicago said the city has an excellent site for the commissioning at Navy Pier and hosts the largest Memorial Day parade in the country each year.

"Both cities are great, but we're partial to Chicago. We think we have a very good chance of hosting," said Cindy Gatziolis, spokesperson for the Chicago Mayor's Office of Special Events.

If Milwaukee hosts the commissioning, no taxpayer money would be spent to arrange the festivities. The MFPC Committee would do all its own fundraising for the event.

The Freedom is a Littoral Combat Ship – the first ever of its kind built for the Navy. The ship is nearly 378 feet long, travels up to 70 miles per hour, can operate in shallow waters, and can be crewed by only 40 people. Other ships of its size often need a 200-person crew. After the commissioning, the ship would be stationed in San Diego.

"We're in wait mode now," McElroy said. "Why the secretary of the Navy would pick Chicago over Milwaukee, only he could tell you. It's just an honor to be considered."