ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: Men’s basketball cruises past Eastern Michigan

The men's basketball team closed the first half on a 37-21 run en route to a 95-62 victory over Eastern Michigan at the Bradley Center.,”Marquette fans got their wish this afternoon: a comfortable margin of victory that allowed them an early start on their Saturday evening plans and a confidence boost heading into next week's CBE championship rounds in Kansas City.

The men's basketball team closed the first half on a 37-21 run en route to a 95-62 victory over Eastern Michigan at the Bradley Center. The offensive production will not come as easily next week, though, when the Golden Eagles face Texas Tech Monday in the CBE semifinals with the prospect of playing Duke the following night.

"If you can score 95 points, and I know it's not going to be that way very often, but when you can score points like that in a hurry, it means you're getting good shots," head coach Tom Crean said.

Through 11 minutes Saturday, Marquette had scored just 14 points precisely because it was not taking good shots. The team opened the game missing its first eight three-point attempts and did not take a lead until the 10:35 mark of the first half on a dunk by sophomore Wesley Matthews, who had 15 points.

But the Golden Eagles moved the ball better the rest of the game and knocked down spot-up jumpers from beyond the arc instead of forcing threes off the dribble.

"A lot of guys were being very unselfish, creating for teammates," said sophomore James, who led all scorers with 17 points after entering halftime with just two. "That's leading to open shots and better three-point selection."

Marquette made 13 of its final 19 three-point attempts. Freshmen David Cubillan and Lazar Hayward both scored in double figures and made multiple three-pointers for the second consecutive game.

While Marquette's shot selection has been inconsistent so far, the constant advantage it has held over opponents has been forcing turnovers. Saturday marked the third straight game in which the Golden Eagles forced their opponent into 25 or more turnovers, as they capitalized off 26 Eastern Michigan miscues for 32 points.

"Coach said we have to get up and pressure guys," sophomore guard Jerel McNeal said. "We can't just sit back and play halfcourt defense for 35 seconds. We have to try to force turnovers."

To cap off an 11-0 run to gain separation in the first half, Matthews led a fast break after stealing the ball and fed junior Lawrence Blackledge for an acrobatic layup. This exhibited Marquette's primary strength: turning defense into easy baskets at the other end.

Marquette has had no difficulty forcing turnovers off the overmatched backcourts of Detroit and Eastern Michigan, but next week's competition will test the team's reliance on a transition offense.