IMAX reopens with an addition

The original architects of the theater had a stroke of genius when they built the theater's 60-foot-tall screen in a dome shape.,”

The night sky has come indoors at the Milwaukee Public Museum.

The museum's Humphrey IMAX Dome Theatre reopened its doors Friday with the addition of the Daniel M. Soref Planetarium.

The original architects of the theater did not envision a planetarium when they built the theater's 60-foot-tall screen in a dome shape. Because of that design, the theater now can support both IMAX productions and planetarium shows — with the addition of newer technology.

The theater is connected to the museum, although separate admission is charged. Officials said that the two pieces will not compete with each other, but rather enhance patrons' visits.

"We've always missed the astronomy piece," said Jeff Bass, executive director of IMAX and the planetarium at the Milwaukee Public Museum. "Now it can be part of the museum experience."

The IMAX technology will continue to project its shows onto the section of the dome directly in front of the audience, much a like a movie theater. The planetarium's Digistar 3 system, a type of simulation technology, combines digital video and computer imaging displayed on all parts of the dome to surround the audience in its productions.

At the beginning of each show, a museum guide projects Milwaukee's night sky onto the dome and spends a few minutes showing the audience what can be seen beyond the city lights.

The technology allows the guide to highlight and zoom in on specific planets and constellations, showing details that are often missed with regular telescopes.

The work of revamping the theater to support the planetarium cost $2.6 million and was funded entirely by private donations. Fundraising began two years ago, but the theater only had to close for one month during summer 2006 for the technology to be installed.

The planetarium's further renovation will be an ongoing process. Some technology that officials hope to implement has not yet been developed.

"We're waiting for some parts to be invented and tested," said Tracey Carson, a spokeswoman for Boelter + Lincoln, the museum's advertising and public relations agency. "It's an ongoing process, but you'll still have the full-dome experience."

The planetarium's namesake — Daniel M. Soref — was a Milwaukee businessman who founded the Master Lock Company. Soref died in 2001, leaving behind the Daniel M. Soref Charitable Trust.

While 15 other organizations contributed to the planetarium, the Daniel M. Soref Charitable Trust was the project's biggest backer with a $2 million donation and museum officials chose to honor the man behind the money.

The draw of the planetarium — Wisconsin's largest — is it plays produced shows, but can also tap into the footage that NASA cameras are capturing in real time, Carson said.

But Bass was careful not to limit the planetarium's capabilities to space and astronomy.

"It has other applications," Bass said. "We have the 3-D models to create anything, not just stars and planets."

Bass touted the planetarium's ability to show any simulation film, including those about rainforests and archeology.

The planetarium, at 800 W. Wells St., charges $8 for adults (ages 16 to 61), and $5.50 for seniors and children.

Showings at the theater will alternate between IMAX and planetarium shows. The planetarium is currently playing "Stars of the Pharaohs" and "Wonders of the Universe."

ON THE WEB GRAPHIC

Visit www.mpm.edu/planetarium for information about upcoming productions, including show times.