All of that work gone in a flash

Then that feeling went away.

Because I saved my project to my flash drive.,”

You know that feeling you get when you're finally done with something; that feeling that you almost want run through Westowne Mall singing and dancing some Broadway tune?

I got that feeling.

Then that feeling went away.

Because I saved my project to my flash drive.

Ah, the glorious new technology of flash drives. You can save so much more than a compact disc or a floppy disk and it's small and compact for easy travel.

And easy loss.

For the past two months, I've been working on a project for a class. It's a big project, one of only two for my entire grade. And last Thursday, I finished the project.

There's a reason every computer lab has big signs asking, "Are you forgetting something?"

I forgot it, I admit. And when I went back, it was gone. Lost and found? Nope.

No flash drive means no project. No project means the past two months are virtually history.

So I'm trying to look at my tragedy from a different angle in order to blame someone else. Here's what I came up with: I was too reliant on technology.

If I wasn't raised to believe that technology would save me, including from my own stupidity, I would've saved the project in multiple locations.

But I foolishly believed technology would have my back … and that's society's fault.

Yet, technology can't save us. Especially if we lose it.

It seems reliance on technology and the benefits of technology is a seesaw (and yes, I'm aware I used this analogy in a previous column, but it helps emphasize my point).

The more I rely on technology, the more it screws me over. If I don't rely on technology, I may be wasting a lot of time, but I know I won't be wasting two months.

Hm, maybe I should've thought this out more clearly beforehand.

And if you're wondering why this is all society's fault and not my own forgetfulness (which it is not), it's because technology is supposed to be better than me. And if I forget it in the lab, it should start shouting at me as I walk away or play techno music that would stop me in my tracks.

AND, I guarantee at least a few of you have done the same thing.

How do I know? Because the lost and found in Raynor Memorial Libraries has at least six different thumb drives, and none of them are mine.

So do what I did: Blame society and then spend the next seven hours re-doing the last two months.

“,”A.J. Becker”