Marriage amendment gets national attention

For the first time in its history, the College Democrats of America will be sponsoring a specific issue in the coming election. The organization has chosen to support Fair Wisconsin and fight alongside the group against the constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage in Wisconsin.

"I think it's an issue College Democrats are passionate about," CDA National President Lauren Wolfe said. "It's our job as the youngest people in the party really to go out and fight for the causes we believe in."

The CDA has planned a "campaign invasion" for this weekend, one month before Wisconsin's general elections. College Democrats from around the country will be visiting Milwaukee.

Saturday and Sunday participation will have a rally and canvass the area, knocking on doors and distributing literature.

Sarah Cotton, the Marquette campus coordinator for Fair Wisconsin, an organization seeking recognition by the university, said the CDA has recognized the huge impact that the amendment would have on the residents.

"They understand the tremendous amount of organizing that Fair Wisconsin has already accomplished, and realize that Wisconsin has a completely realistic chance of being the first state to defeat such a ban," said Cotton, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences.

Marquette's College Democrats have been involved with planning for this weekend, according to chairman Jason Rae, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences.

"We are working hand