Aldermen blast chief about voting

Milwaukee aldermen lambasted Election Commission Executive Director Susan Edman Monday for the ballot counting crisis in last week's primary election.

The aldermen on the Milwaukee Common Council's Judiciary and Legislation Committee expressed concern at Monday's meeting with the integrity of the city's politics.

"The credibility of the city of Milwaukee is at stake," said Alderman Michael D'Amato of the Third District, chairman of the committee. "We can't afford the slightest mistake next election."

Alderman Robert Bauman of the Fourth District, which includes Marquette, said when the public suspects an election, its faith in the system is shaken.

"It convinces another dozen people … that there is a problem in Milwaukee," Bauman said.

Alderman Michael Murphy of the 10th District called the primary "an embarrassment," while Alderman James Bohl, Jr. of the Fifth District described the scene at his polling site as "chaos."

Originally, the Election Commission reported a voter turnout of 80,064. After a manual recount, the number was actually only 46,500 votes. Edman outlined the problem with the ballot counting.

According to Edman, the new ballot counting machines purchased in February became jammed with ballots at multiple polling sites, causing some ballots to be counted multiple times and the tallies to become inflated. Edman said that the machines were tested over Labor Day weekend, just over a week prior to the primary, and no errors were found.

While Edman admitted the machines were tested "in the 11th hour," and that no members of the Common Council were contacted when problems with the machines did occur, she cited understaffing both at polling sites and on her commission as problems.

Bauman credited the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel with noticing the discrepancy between originally announced voter turnout numbers and ballots cast, and questioned whether Edman understands the severity of the problem.

Edman said that she takes her position seriously and that she was confident in the accuracy of the recount.

"We take pride in everything that we do," Edman said of her commission.

D'Amato said that Edman must provide a written outline of her budget needs by Sept. 28 to ensure a mistake-free election in November.

D'Amato also said the Common Council will provide more money and extra staff to Edman's commission before the November elections, even if the mayor's office cannot. Edman reports directly to Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett.