Getting out to see what Milwaukee has to offer

For freshmen, consider this an introduction to Marquette and Milwaukee. For returning students, here's your refresher course. This is the city that most people call home for four years, so why not go out and explore?

Plenty of students regret not heading out into the city more before graduation.,”A new school year means a whole new year of fun in the city.

Plenty of students regret not heading out into the city more before graduation.

It's time to stop looking at the Marquette campus as having Grand Avenue Mall to the east and The Rave to the west acting as bookends, as if there is nothing beyond them. There is more to the city that is known as Brew City and the City of Festivals.

Milwaukee has at least 75 neighborhoods, according to the Milwaukee Neighborhood Identification Project, but we are not suggesting students go out and visit them all. This city features a standard list of interesting neighborhoods — and a few streets — that are always trendy, entertaining and exciting. There are only so many we can cover in this issue, but flip to next week's Marquee for more.

The Historic Third Ward (www.historicthirdward.org)

The Third Ward used to be a warehouse district. Now, it's the place for cute boutiques, quaint cafes and the hub of almost all Milwaukee Festivals based at the Summerfest grounds.

By far, one of the most exciting things to take place in the Third Ward was the opening of the Milwaukee Public Market, 400 N. Water St. (www.milwaukeepub licmarket.org).

The Public Market is the one place to get your fix for anything you want, whether that be baked goods, fresh produce, ethnic foods or meats. It is a great place to take a break from the hall cafeterias.

On Broadway St., there's specialty paper shop Broadway Paper, 191 N. Broadway (www.broadwaypaper.com). For festive occasions, this store has perfect items.

Want to give someone a special birthday present? Instead of wrapping paper, use a Chinese takeout container that is sold in a variety of colors. Stationery, photo albums and Christmas cards are also available.

The East Side (www.theeast side.org)

Home to the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and the hipsters of the city, the East Side has places, activities and fun to be had by all.

The one thing that should be a requirement for all students is a trip to the Oriental Theatre, 2230 N. Farwell Ave. (www.landmark theatres.com).

The Oriental is a historic movie palace that shows independent and art house movies. The triplex not only has wonderful movies, but also amazing East Indian dAccor.

And if movies aren't enough, the Oriental hosts a midnight showing of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" once a month with a live action performance by local troupe Sensual Daydreams.

There are plenty of food and bar options on the East Side, but Beans & Barley, 1901 E. North Ave. (www.beansandbarley.com), is a cafAc and market rolled into one that specializes in vegetarian/vegan-friendly cuisine.

Soy and organic products make it the perfect hang-out for any veggie. Through October, the Beans parking lot plays host to the East Side Open Market on Saturdays.

Brady Street (www.bradyst.com)

Technically Brady Street is located in the East Side, but it has become such a popular street that it deserves its own section.

Restaurants, bars, resale shops and boutiques line this street and it would take a day or more to visit all the inviting places.

There's always that time when people crave baked goods and Peter Sciortino's Bakery, 1101 E. Brady St., satisfies.

Sciortino's cannolis are delicious and filled when you order them. The bread is always fresh and the decadent tiramisu will please anyone's sweet tooth.

The Dragonfly, 1117 E. Brady St. (www.dragonflyvintagegoods.com), has vintage and modern rolled into one. The store has interesting things for prices college students can afford.

Clothes, trinkets, jewelry and even barware are stocked by this kitschy store.

x