Eagles aim for seventh straight NCAA bid

An annual trip to the NCAA Championships has become customary for the women's cross country team.

In fact, it has qualified in each of the last six seasons.

But that is in the past, and Marquette faces perhaps its greatest challenge since the streak began in 2000.

The team lost three of the seven runners it brought to nationals last November. The goal of earning a seventh straight invitation to nationals seems daunting, but Marquette returns its top two runners in senior Michaela Courtney and junior Cassie Peller.

Marquette head coach Dave Uhrich will look to his returning co-MVPs for both performance and leadership.

"It isn't a situation where I feel like we have no chance to get to nationals this year," he said. "I still feel like we can do this."

Aside from returning his top two runners, Uhrich believes a strong freshman class will bolster his lineup.

Perhaps that's putting it too lightly.

"I will say that this is by far my best recruiting class that we've ever had," he said.

Strong words from the coach of a team that won seven of 10 Conference USA Championships before moving to the Big East last year. Still, counting on inexperienced runners is risky.

Another area of concern is Courtney's health. She ranked No. 84 in the nation as a cross country runner last fall and had an even more impressive track season in the spring. But the senior was unable to run anywhere near the summer mileage she is accustomed to because she was recovering from mononucleosis. She has yet to resume training and will sit out until the National Catholic Invitational on Sept. 15.

"I'm feeling a ton better, so that is a positive," said Courtney, who added that she would begin running with the team again next week.

There are a number of uncertainties as the season begins. With six freshmen, nearly half the team's 14-woman roster has yet to lace its shoes on a college course.

The Big East was home to five national qualifiers out of 31 last season; only the ACC sent more. Uhrich will ask newcomers not just to compete against this caliber of talent, but to beat it.

Look for freshman Amanda Beggs to be a staple in the lineup come late September. Seniors Heidi Lindeman and Shannon Oster are two runners who need to contribute. Both were among the seven Uhrich brought to nationals at Indiana State last year.

The Golden Eagles will use four meets in September to gauge its young runners, as well as Courtney's status. The NCAA will begin watching closely at the Roy Griak Invitational in mid-October. Courtney expects to be back in shape for that race, but in the meantime Marquette will turn to Peller.

"It would most definitely be a disappointment if we missed nationals," Peller said. "We've got a lot of good, solid freshmen. It should be expected of ourselves to make it there again."

x