Beyond campus: More Milwaukee offerings

If you missed part 1, don't panic — it's available on the Tribune's Web site at www.mar quettetribune.,”Last week, Marquee suggested a few places to visit in the Historic Third Ward, the East Side and on Brady Street. Here's part 2 of the Marquee intro to the city.

If you missed part 1, don't panic — it's available on the Tribune's Web site at www.mar quettetribune.org. If you have suggestions for other places Marquette students should head to, e-mail us at mumarquee@

yahoo.com.

Bayview

It's sort of like a suburban hideaway in the middle of the city. The Bayview neighborhood (www.gobayview.com) has that mixture of city life, with its stores and bars, and the 'burbs, with its growing population and the overall quiet nature.

One of the best stores in the area happens to be Paperboat Boutique & Gallery, 2375 S. Howell Ave. (www.paperboa boutique.com).

It lives up to its name, with interesting art installations as well as unique gifts, like earrings that have an origami feel to them.

If Borders doesn't do it for you, there's Broad Vocabulary, 2241 S. Kinnickinnic Ave. (www.broadvocabulary.com).

A feminist bookstore, it has a great selection of books on a variety of topics plus a variety of authors that stop by for readings; the store even has a book club.

Walker's Point

The Walker's Point neighborhood may also be referred to as the Fifth Ward, but for most Marquette students, there's only one place that really draws attention: La Perla, 734 S. Fifth St. But there's more to this area than the Mexican restaurant with the mechanical red chili pepper you can ride in the front window.

Barclay Gallery and Garden CafAc, 158 S. Barclay St., rivals plenty of the other restaurants in the city for a good choice when it comes to food.

Without a doubt, if you don't sleep in too late on Sunday, Barclay's brunch is supreme.

Try an omelet with a white chocolate frappe for a satisfying meal.

Along with the normal tableware, Barclay also has place cards that tell diners more about their waiter/waitress, including their likes and dislikes. The gallery is separate from the dining area. There's always plenty to look at, but the items can be pretty pricey.

Water Street

At night, Water Street explodes in a flurry of activity, primarily because of all the bars lining the street.

There's more than enough fun to be had on this strip, plus a few trips to the different restaurants in the area make a walk from campus worth it.

It may be a sports bar chain, but Buffalo Wild Wings, 1123 N. Water St. (www.buffalow ildwings.com), has food for college students on a budget.

Tasty wings and a fun atmosphere — what more could you want? Bring a few friends and make a night of it.

Besides sporting events on the television, BWW has trivia games in which you can participate while waiting for your food.

If you're looking for a dining experience for a more formal occasion, try Swig, 1227 N. Water St. (www.swigmilwaukee.com). Small-plate dining is Swig's specialty, so diners can try a variety of items.

There's also a wide selection of wines and martinis, but it can get a bit expensive (up to $11 for a martini). There's the flight option — good for sharing — where three martinis or wines can be chosen for a set price.