Proposal to arm state’s faculty meets skepticism

In light of recent school violence, a Wisconsin legislator has proposed that teachers be allowed to carry concealed handguns in school.

State Rep. Frank Lasee (R-Bellevue) made the announcement on Oct. 4.

"Most (critics) have responded with a breathless emotional response," Lasee said. "It's a knee-jerk reaction."

The legislation would call for allowing trained teachers and other school personnel to utilize guns if a school were attacked. Lasee, who has been appearing on the national TV circuit speaking about his controversial plan, called such action "the last line of defense for students and staff of schools."

Lasee introduced his plan in response to a foiled conspiracy to attack Green Bay East High School devised by two students and one recent graduate. Lasee, who lives in the Green Bay school district, said the news had an impact on him because it happened in his neighborhood.

"That really drove home the point to me that it could happen anywhere," he said.

Lasee said he has given thought to a number of different ideas on how to better protect schools, but he was especially intrigued by how school violence is being handled in Israel. Lasee said Israelis have defended their schools against terrorists by equipping teachers with guns.

"The genesis of the idea came from that," he said.

However, a Jewish Internet news service said Lasee's assessment of the Israeli situation was wrong.

"Israeli teachers are not armed, but armed guards protect Israeli schools from terrorist attacks," said the Jewish Telegraphic Agency on its Web site.

Teachers and school personnel would have to complete a training course in order to be allowed to use the guns. How long the course would take would be up to credible training schools, Lasee said.

The schools' staff would not actually carry guns during the school day, he said. Instead, the guns would be located in a locked container, hopefully in an anonymous location, that could be accessed if an armed intruder came to the school.

If "someone came into school with a gun, that would be the only time it would be accessed," he said.

Lasee has garnered considerable negative response to his controversial proposal. But he said he has spoken with some Iraq war veterans who would want to use their training as school employees to help provide "the last line of defense." He also said one company has even offered free training courses for teachers.

Lasee plans to introduce the legislation as early as January, when the Legislature reconvenes.

That is, unless he loses the Nov. 7 election: Two members of the Manitowoc County Board have filed with the state elections board to run against Lasee as write-in candidates for Lasee's 2nd Assembly District seat.

Fellow Republican Robert Dobbs, who said he has known Lasee personally for a number of years, filed with the board on Oct. 5, just a day after Lasee announced his proposal. Dobbs said he decided to run as a reaction to Lasee's proposal, although they disagree about other issues.

He called the plan "way over the top," and said it "shows Frank's true colors."

The plan "wouldn't do anything once implemented," he said.

Dobbs said the problem of school violence would be better solved by locking school doors down, having limited access areas throughout schools and patrolling hallways.

Democrat Ted Zigmunt, who seconds as village president of Francis Creek, is also running because of Lasee's proposal.

"I considered running against him in 2008, but I decided that now was the right time to jump in," he said.

Zigmunt filed with the state elections board on Monday.

Lasee, a 12-year incumbent, said if his two new opponents are "serious opponents, I'll be serious with them. I think both of them are wrong on plenty of issues."

Meanwhile, others are reacting against Lasee's proposal.

"Milwaukee Public Schools takes a position that the only person that we feel would be armed would be a sworn police officer," said Art Ketchman, assistant director for the MPS school safety division.

Ketchman said the schools currently have 225 school safety assistants who are not armed, but are trained in nonviolent crisis intervention. He also said MPS works with the Milwaukee Police Department school squads.

In terms of Milwaukee school safety measures, Ketchman said most high schools have metal detectors, which can be used at the discretion of the principal.

"Schools always have the option to do locker searches and they'll do weapon scans from time to time," he said.

Lasee's proposal also was brought up during Friday night's governor's debate.

Gov. Jim Doyle called Lasee's plan "certainly one of the worst ideas that has come around."

Rep. Mark Green (R-Green Bay) said, "I believe Rep. Lasee was well-intentioned. I don't agree with that approach."