Men’s basketball roster

Plus: The Big East's top returning scorer and assists man. Had an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.9/1 last season. Legitimate All-American contender.

Minus: Needs to improve three-point (30.1 percent) and free throw (64.1 percent) shooting.

Jerel McNeal:

Plus: Possesses terrific on-the-ball defense, averaging the second-most steals per game in the Big East (2.,”

Dominic James:

Jerel McNeal:

Plus: Possesses terrific on-the-ball defense, averaging the second-most steals per game in the Big East (2.06) last season. McNeal is a great slasher on offense.

Minus: Averaged 3.8 turnovers per game last season. His fearless nature can become reckless, leading him to make unwise decisions with the ball.

Wesley Matthews:

Plus: Finished his freshman season strong, averaging 11.3 ppg in his last six games. His size and athleticism allow him to defend well.

Minus: He shot 43.8 percent from three-point range with just 32 attempts, but his 39.9 field goal percentage begs the question: Will he ever be a consistent shooter?

Lazar Hayward:

Plus: Billed as a great outside shooter. Has NBA size and plays smart and under control. Hayward has a reputation for working hard. Smooth outside stroke.

Minus: Does not possess the blow-you-away quickness of James, McNeal or Matthews. Hayward does not have a reputation for scoring well off the dribble.

Ousmane Barro:

Plus: Proved to be a strong defensive presence as his minutes increased. Runs the floor well. Scored 13 points in two of his last three games. Will it carry over?

Minus: Has shaky hands and frequently fumbles passes. Season-high in rebounds was just six, and did that only once. Goes stretches without scoring or rebounding.

Dan Fitzgerald:

Plus: Shot 40.5 percent from downtown, including six of seven versus DePaul. Likely will see more open looks this season.

Minus: A defensive liability. He is not strong enough to guard many fours, and not quick enough to guard most Big East twos or threes.

Mike Kinsella:

Plus: Has shown flashes of a soft touch from 10 to 12 feet, mostly in scrimmages. Clogs the paint on defense. Looks to play a role off Marquette's bench.

Minus: His limited speed and athleticism cause him trouble getting up and down the floor.

Jamil Lott:

Plus: Shows athleticism and runs the floor well. Scored nine points in the 2005-'06 season opener against Rice last November.

Minus: Lost big minutes down the stretch last season due to inconsistency and has yet to prove he is a competent Big East power forward.

Lawrence Blackledge:

Plus: A tremendous athlete who leaps well and has a seven-foot wingspan. He blocked 230 shots in two junior college seasons.

Minus: Needs to lift weights with a vengeance in order to bang with Big East caliber talent in the future.

David Cubillan:

Plus: Shot 51.0 percent from three-point range as a senior in high school. Could be a long-range specialist off the bench.

Minus: His lack of quickness might make him a defensive liability at point guard, and his height probably excludes him from defending a shooting guard.

Dwight Burke:

Plus: Has ideal size for a power forward. Provides another body off the bench in case of foul trouble.

Minus: For the most part, he played only garbage minutes. At times, he seems to disappear during Marquette's scrimmages.