With Novak gone, shooters in demand

Marquette fans quickly came to love the duo of Dominic James and Steve Novak last season. Like Jerry setting up George's punch lines on "Seinfeld," James provided the perfect circumstances for Novak to succeed.

The two talented, yet incomparable styles complemented each other perfectly. James collapsed the defense and then passed out to Novak, who connected from the perimeter.

Without a returning frontcourt player who averaged 6.0 points per game or more in 2005-'06 and lacking a true freshman post player on the roster, the Golden Eagles again figure to rely heavily on perimeter jump-shooting.

Having lost 157 three-point field goals between the graduation of Novak and Joe Chapman, Marquette must find new sources of outside shooting. The team will turn to junior Dan Fitzgerald to fill the void, at least partially.

"He's going to be our Steve Novak for right now," said sophomore Jerel McNeal, one of the penetrating guards who will look to kick out to open shooters.

Fitzgerald, who was head coach Tom Crean's first option off the bench last season, shot 40.7 percent from three-point range with limited attempts. He was a complementary piece, usually staying within himself by deferring to more capable scorers.

"When you have a guy like Novak, you have to get him the ball," Fitzgerald said. "You know, you'd be stupid not to."

Fitzgerald's basketball IQ is well above average, which is a huge reason why Crean relied on him in crucial spots last season. Fitzgerald's confidence was lacking at times, though. He drilled 6-of-7 three-pointers against DePaul at the Bradley Center in January. But that game aside, he made three treys in a game only once.

"We want his confidence to grow," Crean said. "He needs to be a consistent shooter and a consistent player for us. . Right now, I would say Dan Fitzgerald is our best perimeter shooter with Novak gone."

Fitzgerald is not the only potential solution, though. Crean hopes freshman Lazar Hayward, the latest addition to the coach's outstanding recruiting record, will provide another outside threat. Hayward averaged 18.9 points per game and shot 42.0 percent from three-point range last season at Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, Mass. He shoots a partial set shot and does not possess a lightning quick release, but the smooth touch he displayed in scrimmages is a positive sign for Marquette.

Ultimately, the Golden Eagles may rely on their three returning backcourt starters for outside shooting. James, McNeal and Wesley Matthews combined for 35.4 points per game as freshmen. James and McNeal struggled from three-point range, though, shooting just 30.1 and 28.3 percent, respectively. Matthews showed more promise from the perimeter, shooting 43.8 percent.

"We lost a lot of shots from last year with Steve and Joe gone," Matthews said. "That's definitely an area where I need to step up."

If Crean's evaluation of his players' improvement is accurate, then the shooting question will be answered quickly.

"Of the guys returning, Jerel and Wesley have made the most tremendous strides with their shots," he said.