Green offers better future

You're about to graduate from Marquette and you're deciding whether you want to stay in Wisconsin or go work somewhere else. You want a good job, a place to live and a safe community. You want to trust your government to work for you and to make these essentials available.

Wisconsin is wonderful. But if you're like many recent graduates, you'd probably rather go elsewhere.

On average, college graduates earn 10 percent less and pay 10 percent more taxes in Wisconsin than in other states. Young people between the ages of 20 and 29 make up the largest age group of people leaving Wisconsin to find better opportunities.

Mark Green, the Republican candidate for governor, knows why: "We don't have a people problem, we have a leadership problem."

Our tax burden is the sixth highest in the nation and 10 percent above the national average. Property taxes ballooned by $600 million during Gov. Jim Doyle's term.

Green will lower our taxes. He supports a constitutional limit on government spending. He supported a property tax freeze that Doyle vetoed twice. Green will slim down the bureaucracy and make sure red tape isn't costing us extra.

High taxes tremendously affect the business climate. We landed only 15 new manufacturing facilities in 2005, compared to Iowa's 135 and Illinois' 510!

Harley Davidson, Menard's and Honda Motors have all recently turned down opportunities to add jobs in Wisconsin due to high taxes and red tape.

Green will build the economy by restructuring Wisconsin's economic development programs and taking a hands-on approach to job creation. He will initiate lawsuit reform and make the government accountable to taxpayers.

Green is also the best choice for voters concerned with building a culture of life. He opposes abortion and has a 100 percent rating from National Right to Life. He also supports the definition of marriage as between one man and one woman.

Contrary to the Democrats' distorted statements, Green supports ethically responsible stem cell research and will fully fund those methods that offer the best hopes for cures. And he opposes human cloning – which Doyle refused to ban in 2005.

The Doyle administration is one of the most corrupt in Wisconsin's history. Casino interests and firms looking for state contracts have benefited from their campaign contributions. Doyle has bought and sold this state, and it's time for a change.

If you want Wisconsin to be great again, vote for Green. He'll lower our taxes, bring in good jobs, maintain respect for human life and be the governor we can trust to do the right thing.

Toigo is a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences and president of Students for Green.