Great expectations

Crean stressed the style at the first practice.,”

The electric pace of the men's basketball scrimmages has caused onlookers to take notice. Head coach Tom Crean has slashed the shot clock to 20 seconds, a 15-second subtraction from the NCAA's standard shot clock.

Crean stressed the style at the first practice. The message is clear: he wants higher scoring. Meanwhile, everyone else just has higher expectations.

A year ago fans and media alike had predetermined Marquette's inauspicious fate. Who could have blamed them? With a freshman backcourt and a largely unproven roster, the expectations were not based on sheer pessimism.

Flash forward. The team is seven months removed from an NCAA tournament appearance, and the conclusion that Marquette will make its second straight tournament is foregone. But other than a year's time, and leading scorer Steve Novak's departure, not much has changed – except the expectations, of course.

A fast-break offense does one of two things: either it owns the defensive glass, or it forces turnovers and runs. The Golden Eagles possess the quickness and athleticism to force turnovers. Rebounding, however, remains a weakness.

"Right now our major concern is rebounding," Crean said. "We've got some questions that we need to get answered."

Answering that question will be daunting. The same one was asked before last season. Novak improved immensely, though, grabbing 5.9 rebounds per game.

Ryan Amoroso rebounded well early last season before riding the bench. Amoroso, who as a sophomore logged 30 points and 12 rebounds against South Carolina in the Great Alaska Shootout, would have been Novak's logical replacement. Instead, he transferred to San Diego State.

With Novak and Amoroso gone, Crean's expressed concern over rebounding is valid. Junior Ousmane Barro will start at center, while it remains to be seen how Crean works the power forward position.

Junior Dan Fitzgerald and freshman Lazar Hayward likely will see minutes at the four. Whoever does not start is the probable sixth man. If junior Mike Kinsella avoids injuries, which have hampered his career, he may be another primary bench option.

Much like last season, the Golden Eagles will rely on sophomores Dominic James, Jerel McNeal and Wesley Mathews.

"We don't get caught up with outside expectations," said James, the Big East's returning points and assists leader. "We know a lot is being said about our capabilities, but we try and stick to our own expectations."

If James' expectations match McNeal's, then the team's goals are tremendous.

"Our goal at the beginning of every season is to win a national championship," McNeal said.

While few expect Marquette to play into April, the team could secure a top-three finish in the Big East based on the talent of its backcourt.

Marquette must close out games on the road, though. The team finished just 3-7 away from home last season.Should similar losses occur, they may prove costlier in 2006-'07 with a tougher conference schedule.

"We've got to prove that we can win on the road because in this conference, that's big," James said.

Another important factor is the maturation of McNeal and Matthews. James was poised beyond his age last season, but the other two were mistake-prone as often as they were dazzling.

Last season, Marquette surprised opponents – a luxury they won't have this year. If the team rebounds capably and its guards can play beyond their years, it will not need the element of surprise.