Observers, greeters will meet voters at polls

Gov. Jim Doyle passed a law in the spring that changed procedures at polling sites around the state.

According to a news release from the League of Women Voters of Wisconsin, polling sites will now have both election observers and poll greeters.,”

Voters may note a difference at polling places come Tuesday.

According to a news release from the League of Women Voters of Wisconsin, polling sites will now have both election observers and poll greeters. These officials monitor the voting process and answer questions from voters. Observers have been allowed at polling places before, but the 2004 election demonstrated the need for closer inspection, she said.

"The new rules and laws were put in place for the purpose of improving elections and making the whole process more accountable," said Andrea Kaminski, executive director of the League of Women Voters of Wisconsin. "This should increase peoples' confidence that their vote counts."

Kaminski said election volunteers should now be able to see and hear everything that goes on, from voter registration to casting the vote.

"Obviously they won't be able to watch people cast their ballots," Kaminski said. "That part is always confidential."

Campaigns and political parties send their own volunteers to be observers.

Michael Murphy, executive director of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin, said he is unsure of the exact numbers, but the party plans on sending hundreds of observers to polling sites statewide.

"Milwaukee is our most extensive location," Murphy said. "You'll see us at polling sites on Marquette and UWM campuses, as well as the surrounding districts."

Murphy said that his party's volunteers, who will be accompanied by Democratic Party of Wisconsin lawyers, will watch for people attempting to intimidate and confuse voters arriving at the polls.

Murphy also said observers are being told to listen for other poll workers telling voters to return at a later time to cast their ballot if counting machines break down, as they did during Milwaukee County's Sept. 12 primary election.

"At that point, we'd step in and say 'No, you really need to give this voter a paper ballot,' " Murphy said.

In the primary, ballot counting machines became jammed, causing voter turnout numbers to be inflated up to 80,000. Actual voter turnout was closer to 40,000.

Noticeably absent from the changes this year is a requirement for photo identification at the polls.

The debate about photo IDs has raged after Doyle vetoed a measure three times by the state legislature requiring voters to show a photo ID when voting. Doyle, who is running for re-election, has said that the requirement puts a strain on voters who do not have a state-issued ID.

Republican gubernatorial challenger Mark Green is a strong advocate of the measure. An Oct. 26 campaign press release calls the photo ID requirement common sense.

"The easiest way to ensure the integrity of Wisconsin elections is to require every person voting to show a photo identification before casting their ballot," the release said.

Green would pass the legislation if elected, according to Luke Punzenberger, spokesman for Green.