More than votes for their candidates

But some refuse to be part of that passive majority.

Marquette students are among those who not only plan to vote on Nov.,”

In the last midterm election, only 42 percent of those eligible actually cast a ballot, according to the U.S. Census Bureau Web site.

But some refuse to be part of the passive majority.

Many Marquette students not only plan to vote on Nov. 7, but are also deeply involved in the political process through campaigning.

"To stand by and do nothing, that's not being an active citizen," said Greg Jackson, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences who is working on the No Death Penalty Wisconsin and Fair Wisconsin campaigns. "It's really just being involved in decisions that affect our world."

"I want to have a better understanding of how political campaigns work," said Jason Rae, a College of Arts & Sciences sophomore. Rae is working as an intern for U.S. Sen. Herb Kohl's re-election campaign.

Because College of Arts & Sciences junior Mike Tokarchick is missing a governor's race at home in Michigan, he instead works here on Republican gubernatorial candidate Mark Green's campaign.

Students said campaigning is a huge commitment, but the time away from friends and school is well worth it.

"I haven't gone to bed before 3 a.m. in weeks," Rae said. "I have a tight schedule, but I knew I'd be campaigning so I backed off on credits this semester. I haven't had time for a social life."

Some students, like College of Arts & Sciences freshman and Green campaign volunteer Brian Lois, try not to let campaigning get in the way of school.

"I put schoolwork ahead of this," Lois said. "If I have homework, I won't go in to do phone banks."

But for some, it doesn't always work that way.

"I make time for it," Jackson said of campaigning. "If I have to sacrifice a couple hours of studying or hanging out with friends then I will."

Anna Titulaer, a College of Arts & Sciences senior, is a member of the College Democrats of Marquette and volunteers for multiple campaigns. She said she believes that in a democracy, the ability to work on campaigns is a privilege and a blessing.

"The good we fight for today can change the world and that often takes precedence over other things," said Titulaer in an e-mail.

Students agree campaign work – making phone calls, distributing yards signs and literature and helping out with events – isn't always glamorous, but benefits do come with the job.

"I've seen more of the city in the past two months doing yard sign distribution than I did all last year," Rae said.

Tokarchick said while his position is technically titled an internship, he is "really just a glorified volunteer." But like Rae, Tokarchick looks at the good side of his work.

"I've done a lot of things and met a lot of people I otherwise wouldn't have," Tokarchick said.

Lois certainly knows about meeting people while on the job.

"I got to meet President Bush this summer," said Lois, who worked on the Wisconsin branch of Bush's re-election campaign in 2004. "I shook his hand."

While the parties they work for may differ, students' reasons for becoming involved are largely the same: they believe in the importance of what they are doing.

"Politics is like sports with the same principle of competition, but at the end of the day, in politics, the team that wins actually matters," Tokarchick said.

Titulaer echoed Tokarchick, saying not only does the election's outcome matter, but also that every vote counts.

"Wisconsin is a close state – a purple one," she said. "And each vote truly matters."

Rae believes every vote counts and sees this election as one that will shape the rest of his life.

"This is important because the people we elect decide our future," Rae said. "These are decisions that affect our lives."

Students expressed frustration that despite the effect elections have on the future, most people don't vote.

"Even if you aren't a strong believer in elected officials or politicians, it takes you just a few minutes to cast your ballot," Titulaer said.

Lois noted the absent voices are often those of students.

"People are apathetic," Lois said. "College students are a large bloc that doesn't always turn out."

Rae admitted even his colleagues aren't all that concerned with the election.

"We have lots of Dems," Rae said. "But they aren't as involved right now. This doesn't energize them as much as a presidential campaign."

Titulaer pointed out that local races matter, especially when closely contested with important issues on the ballot.

"This election is one of the most important thus far in our lives in Wisconsin," Titulaer said. "We have a chance to make history."

Tokarchick and Titulaer are political science majors and hope to remain politically involved. Both said they plan on moving to Washington, D.C.

"I want to be the guy behind the scenes making policy decisions," Tokarchick said.

Jackson is majoring in international affairs and said he too would like to hold office someday.

Rae, another political science major, has more specific plans.

"I want to be the president," Rae said. "It has been my goal since kindergarten. I've been working towards it and I still want it."

Lois is thinking of majoring in math and is just happy with his experiences.

"I have no political aspirations whatsoever," Lois said. "But I've learned a lot about winning elections and running campaigns."

As for the more immediate future, all the students will be working on Election Day, contacting supporters and reminding them to get to the polls.

"I will be everywhere I can be, encouraging people to vote," Titulaer said.

Of course, all these students will cast their own ballots, if they haven't already.

And after?

"Everyone is just waiting for Nov. 8 to come," Rae said.