Kinsella looks good in Friday night’s scrimmage

1 Mike Kinsella. He was 7-7 from the field, and the majority of his shots were swishes from 12-16 feet.,”Marquette divided its team in half for a scrimmage Friday night at the Al McGuire Center. Crean cut the shot clock down to 20 seconds, instead of the normal 35-second clock. Four things stuck out:

1. Mike Kinsella. He was 7-of-7 from the field, and the majority of his shots were swishes from 12-16 feet. If he carries this into the season, he may well be Tom Crean's second man off the bench.

2. Wesley Matthews jumper. The sophomore buried a number of outside shots, an area Crean had said Matthews improved in the off-season. He pulled the trigger confidently and without hesitation. He shot 7-for-14 from the field.

3. Ousmane Barro's free-throw shooting. Barro is one of the few men in the country whose free-throw shooting is poorer than Shaquille O'Neal's. Well, it's not quite that bad, but it is close. Barro was 2-for-9 from the charity stripe.

4. Jerel McNeal's activity. He was everywhere. He penetrated fearlessly, and finished the scrimmage with 29 points. As fans came to expect of him last season, he also took a number of bad shots and turned the ball over a ton. But overall, he looked to have added a few moves to his offensive repertoire.