Hayward will be able to play in season opener

The NCAA cleared Hayward for practice and individual workouts Oct.,”After weeks of speculation surrounding freshman Lazar Hayward's eligibility, the NCAA informed Marquette's coaching staff Friday afternoon that he had been cleared for the 2006-'07 season.

The NCAA cleared Hayward for practice and individual workouts Oct. 12. News that he was, in fact, eligible for the 2006-'07 regular season arrived a little over two weeks later. The holdup dealt with Hayward's paperwork, with specifics remaining vague throughout the process.

Hayward, from Buffalo, N.Y., averaged 18.8 points and 7.9 rebounds per game as a senior at Notre Dame Prep School in Fitchburg, Mass., last season. Rivals.com lists the 6-foot-6 swingman as a four out of five star recruit.

Friday assistant coach Jason Rabadeaux informed Hayward he was cleared to play in the season opener.

"It was an emotional day for him," head coach Tom Crean said. "He was in shock at the time."

The team scrimmaged at the Al McGuire Center Friday night. Afterward, Hayward talked about the upcoming season.

"I want to bring defense," he said. "I'm just looking forward to giving whatever the team needs, you know, offense, three-point shooting, whatever."

Hayward was out of sync much of the night. He did, however, demonstrate a soft shooter's touch when given the opportunity.

"He's still got his high school game in him," said Todd Townsend, director of basketball operations. "Right now, everything is either too slow or too fast for him. At this level, everything has got to be just right."

Hayward's size, shooting ability, and rebounding prowess allow him to play a two, three or four, making him a valuable weapon. As for Marquette's team depth had the NCAA deemed Hayward ineligible, Crean refused to consider the possibility.

"I don't even want to think about that," he said.